arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What In The World Does Ground Beef Added Natural Flavors Mean?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

The title pretty much says it all. What does ground beef added natural flavors mean on a label? This is the first I have seen of this. I thought that ground beef was ground beef. I know it's not wheat in there but why on earth would they add something to ground beef and what could it possibly be. For those of us that are watchign corn and soy, this is getting harder and harder.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'm sure you will get answers that they are gluten or radioactive ore from Mars but, according to the US govt, there shouldn't be any gluten in them as spices, oils, etc cannot contain a grain and oleoresin is made from fir trees ( yum :( )

http://www.fsis.usda...rings/index.asp

"What substances or ingredients can be listed as "natural flavor," "flavor," or "flavorings" rather than by a specific common or usual name?
Spices (e.g., black pepper, basil, and ginger), spice extracts, essential oils, oleoresins, onion powder, garlic powder, celery powder, onion juice, and garlic juice are all ingredients that may be declared on labeling as "natural flavor," "flavor," or "flavoring." Spices, oleoresins, essential oils, and spice extracts are listed in the Food and Drug Administration regulations."

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Maybe they have come up with a different name for pink slime? Whatever it is, I wouldn't buy it.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I already bought it. I guess i'll throw 13 dollars of ground beef away...jeez....This is from a national chain grocery store which also happens to be the only grocery store in my town. I'm going to have to drive to Costco for my beef now.

Bart, I bet you are right...a new name for pink slime. Costco has some organic beef. I guess i'll go buy some of that.

Karen, thanks for looking that up! Makes sense.

Fir trees....omg...wtf.........i'm rolling laughing at that...It's not really funny but it is...

#5 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I already bought it. I guess i'll throw 13 dollars of ground beef away...jeez....This is from a national chain grocery store which also happens to be the only grocery store in my town. I'm going to have to drive to Costco for my beef now.

Bart, I bet you are right...a new name for pink slime. Costco has some organic beef. I guess i'll go buy some of that.

Karen, thanks for looking that up! Makes sense.

Fir trees....omg...wtf.........i'm rolling laughing at that...It's not really funny but it is...

You get your " pure ground beef" and go out your door and get some of that sticky stuff the deers lick, off your pine trees! Add it to your ground beef. You don't need other to add it.

In all seriousness, it is safe from a gluten stand point.

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I already bought it. I guess i'll throw 13 dollars of ground beef away...

If you really aren't going to eat it, consider 'freecycle' (you can advertize it as dog food), or throw it on the lawn for birds.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

If you really aren't going to eat it, consider 'freecycle' (you can advertize it as dog food), or throw it on the lawn for birds.

I am going to send it with my husband to take to work. Thats what I do with all of the foods that I buy and don't want. Those guys are like vultures. They eat anything. :)

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I am going to send it with my husband to take to work. Thats what I do with all of the foods that I buy and don't want. Those guys are like vultures. They eat anything. :)

Awesome. :) I always forget about the 'work disposal' option. :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Incredible! They are just like the airport people. An airport waitress told me, people who eat here don't care what they eat so long as it's food :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Normally it is sage oil that they add to it. I researched it after i ate some. Got a really bad bellyache from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: