This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ladies-Would You Use This Mac Face Powder?

birdie22

birdie22 Enthusiast

I recently purchased MAC makeup Mineralize Skinfinish Natural. It's a pressed powder for the face. I should've researched it first but found myself in a town with a MAC counter (don't have one close by) so I bought it on impulse. I called their customer care and they said it contains wheat, soy, corn products (I'm ok with corn and soy). I found this ingredient list online and I'm guessing the wheat is probably the yeast extract.

MAC+Mineralize+Skinfinish+Natural+Medium1.webp

So my question is...would you use this product even though it contains wheat of some sort? I do not have DH and don't seem to be sensitive to topical wheat/gluten. I am vigilant about only using gluten-free lip products, face wash, shampoo (as these are things that would tend to run down my face/mouth in the shower) and hand lotion. I've mostly used Bare Minerals foundation which I know is gluten-free. I haven't worried about my eye shadow, blush, mascara, etc. and haven't had issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm not seeing the wheat?

GottaSki Mentor

I had to give up my favorite mac creme compact foundation because it contained wheat - but that was well over three years ago - have not checked their ingredients since.

GFreeMO Proficient

If they told you that it does have wheat in it, I would not use it! I would return it.

birdie22 Enthusiast

I'm not seeing the wheat?

Me either which is why I called. I had googled a bit and saw on at least one gluten-free make up blog that the user gave up MSF because of gluten but I couldn't tell if it was the entire product line or color specific so I called. The CS rep had a list handy and was able to quickly tell me that MSF has wheat, soy, corn and the lipstick I asked about just soy and corn (yea!).

I suppose I could use it and monitor my usage and if symptoms appear discontinue use.

kareng Grand Master

Me either which is why I called. I had googled a bit and saw on at least one gluten-free make up blog that the user gave up MSF because of gluten but I couldn't tell if it was the entire product line or color specific so I called. The CS rep had a list handy and was able to quickly tell me that MSF has wheat, soy, corn and the lipstick I asked about just soy and corn (yea!).

I suppose I could use it and monitor my usage and if symptoms appear discontinue use.

Well...that's a relief! I thought my eyesight was going!

Gemini Experienced

I recently purchased MAC makeup Mineralize Skinfinish Natural. It's a pressed powder for the face. I should've researched it first but found myself in a town with a MAC counter (don't have one close by) so I bought it on impulse. I called their customer care and they said it contains wheat, soy, corn products (I'm ok with corn and soy). I found this ingredient list online and I'm guessing the wheat is probably the yeast extract.

MAC+Mineralize+Skinfinish+Natural+Medium1.webp

So my question is...would you use this product even though it contains wheat of some sort? I do not have DH and don't seem to be sensitive to topical wheat/gluten. I am vigilant about only using gluten-free lip products, face wash, shampoo (as these are things that would tend to run down my face/mouth in the shower) and hand lotion. I've mostly used Bare Minerals foundation which I know is gluten-free. I haven't worried about my eye shadow, blush, mascara, etc. and haven't had issues.

This contains tocopheryls, which is Vitamin E and it can be derived from wheat. However, it is very highly refined and is considered safe for use by Celiacs. I can send more info on this tomorrow as I am in a hurry now and don't have time BUT I would guess that is where the wheat MAY be. I use cosmetics with tocopheryls, am an extremely sensitive Celiac and I have never reacted to cosmetics at all. I have no skin allergies, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

birdie22 Enthusiast

This contains tocopheryls, which is Vitamin E and it can be derived from wheat. However, it is very highly refined and is considered safe for use by Celiacs. I can send more info on this tomorrow as I am in a hurry now and don't have time BUT I would guess that is where the wheat MAY be. I use cosmetics with tocopheryls, am an extremely sensitive Celiac and I have never reacted to cosmetics at all. I have no skin allergies, though.

Thank you for this info. Tocopherol raised my eyebrow too in addition to the yeast extract.

Gemini Experienced

Open Original Shared Link

Here is an article on Tocopherols that you might find informative.

I am not sure if yeast extract is a worry for Celiacs as I cannot find it listed on any forbidden lists. I don't know that much about it but yeast, in general, is not a concern.

birdie22 Enthusiast

Interesting article Gemini. Thank you for sharing. So if the "wheat" in this foundation/powder is the tocopherol listed then as I understand the article it shouldn't be a concern because the amount of wheat in the tocopherol is tiny AND the amount of tocopherol in the product is also small.

I have seen yeast extract on lists of "wheat" ingredients in cosmetics/personal care items. Here's two examples: Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

Gemini Experienced

Interesting article Gemini. Thank you for sharing. So if the "wheat" in this foundation/powder is the tocopherol listed then as I understand the article it shouldn't be a concern because the amount of wheat in the tocopherol is tiny AND the amount of tocopherol in the product is also small.

I have seen yeast extract on lists of "wheat" ingredients in cosmetics/personal care items. Here's two examples: Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

Yes, tocopherols are considered safe because of the tiny amounts and the fact they are so highly refined. You know, I am a very sensitive Celiac who reacts to extremely small amounts of gluten which enters my gut. This is how a reaction occurs. The first link you sent, the one written by a nurse, contains inaccurate information. Gluten is not a danger when it enters your blood stream, it's the gut that is the issue. If you read real, relevant medical literature, you will learn that people with DH react from within, same as Celiac's without DH. You do not have a DH outbreak from touching wheat and if you do react, you most likely have a topical allergy on top of DH. Most poeple I know with DH have extremely sensitive skin so will react to topical allergens. You also do not have to worry about injections into your blood stream because it by-passes the gut and is not an issue. Once something with gluten is in your mouth, then you have a problem but not your blood stream. Having said this, it's rare to find any gluten in an injectable medication. It's a thickener and not something you want to do for injecting meds.

When using cosmetics, it is essential that Celiac's or anyone else with a gluten problem screen lip products of any kind and hand/ body lotion, for obvious reasons. But screening mascara or rouge is not really necessary, unless you want to make extra work for yourself or have a topical allergy. I have been doing this for a long time and have never been glutened by make-up. I have regular antibody checks done as I am highly symptomatic and failed all the tests on the blood screen by large numbers yet my antibody levels are stellar. Almost zero.

I am very careful about application but it wouldn't be possible for me to have healed this well if I were ingesting gluten from make-up. I get annoyed at these so called professionals who claim we need to eradicate gluten from make-up. Unless you are eating it, and no one wants to do that, it's not something to get all riled up about. However, if you choose to do so, then

by all means, do so. But don't think that because there is a wheat derivative in your mascara that you are putting yourself in grave danger of a glutening because you are not.

I do appreciate the listings, though, because I do screen the above mentioned items and it's always good to learn what is to be avoided on what we have to screen for! No one can memorize all that!

birdie22 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for that perspective. I appreciate it. I don't worry about gluten in most personal care items. Hand lotion, lip products, shampoo, and face moisturizer. I was curious about foundation since I do apply that near my lips and powders are messy. My last foundation happened to be gluten-free so I never even thought about it. Once I decided to switch I wondered if it was something to consider. Your info has been very helpful to deciding that I need not worry about it.

Pauliewog Contributor

I have a MAC mineralize powder that is old so the ingredients are probably worn off. I have never had any problems with it. In fact, I put it on this morning!

Gemini Experienced

Thank you so much for that perspective. I appreciate it. I don't worry about gluten in most personal care items. Hand lotion, lip products, shampoo, and face moisturizer. I was curious about foundation since I do apply that near my lips and powders are messy. My last foundation happened to be gluten-free so I never even thought about it. Once I decided to switch I wondered if it was something to consider. Your info has been very helpful to deciding that I need not worry about it.

Glad I could be of some help. I know many people may not agree wit this but if you do your homework as far as what the real dangers are, then you can concentrate on those and not worry about things that you really need not worry about.

I use a small amount of foundation, mostly to cover those annoying hyperpigmentation spots that occur after menopause. I keep it away from nose and mouth. Powder you may want to screen, depending on how much you use but if you haven't had any problems with the one you are using, then don't worry about it....unless you are asymptomatic. Most of the complaints come from those who have had skin reactions and that is an allergy related response. DH happens like a Celiac reaction because it is. You have ingested something with gluten.....not from skin contact.

Another rule of thumb is to buy a better product and not use ultra cheap cosmetics. The cheaper the cosmetic, the cheaper the ingredients that go into making them and wheat and their derivatives tend to be cheap.

Archived