7 replies to this topic

#1 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Seems China and Austria have been dumping xanthan onto the U.S. market below fair market value. Apparently, only two U.S. xanthan producers remain.

http://news.xinhuane...c_124184189.htm
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Interesting. How much do you pay for your xanthan gum? I pay about $15 for a small bag (will check weight). Thankfully it goes a long way!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I paid $14 for a small bag - a very long time ago - was upset at the time but sure does last.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I paid $14 for a small bag - a very long time ago - was upset at the time but sure does last.

Yes - it is hard to imagine that is a 'dumping' price. Otherwise surely someone is gouging :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Exactly, Mushroom. Just checked. My most recent bag was $17 for 250g. This only the third bag I've gone through in nearly two years, though, but still. Arrowroot is incredibly expensive here, too. My most recent bag was $14 for 250g. One of the cookbooks I own has many recipes for 1 cup of arrowroot (or more) per loaf of bread. Wow. That is expensive homemade bread!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I had a whole foods store (not Whole Foods) tell me that tapioca was the same thing as arrowroot :wacko: ; I said I don't think so....... It is very expensive here too - one little biddy box costs like $6.00; barely enough to thicken something with, let alone bake. Then a couple of days ago I saw "arrowroot substitute" and it was tapioca. Certainly cheaper but definitely not the same thing.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Interesting. How much do you pay for your xanthan gum? I pay about $15 for a small bag (will check weight). Thankfully it goes a long way!

The price has been going up gradually, but the last bag I purchased was about $4 for 4oz.

One thing I wonder about the dumping accusation, is that since U.S. companies always have trouble competing with Chinese companies, how would one determine that such competition was unfair? Maybe they can sell xanthan for less just like everything else they sell.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

My most recent bag was $14 for 250g. One of the cookbooks I own has many recipes for 1 cup of arrowroot....

:ph34r: :blink:

(tapioca) It is very expensive here too - one little biddy box costs like $6.00; barely enough to thicken something with, let alone bake.

:o :(

Tapioca's base source root is being used for biofuel in some countries. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: