This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Mayo

KikiB

KikiB Explorer

I have not been able to find a mayo without soy, and started searching for mayo recipes.

Open Original Shared Link

This was super easy and the mayo came out great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Mom made all of her condiments from scratch even before she was diagnosed with celiac. My Dad had asthma and was allergic to all of the artificial coloring, flavoring, and preservatives in foods. Mom was a fabulous cook and all of my friends used to complain that THEIR Moms couldn't cook like mine.

KikiB Explorer

Mom made all of her condiments from scratch even before she was diagnosed with celiac. My Dad had asthma and was allergic to all of the artificial coloring, flavoring, and preservatives in foods. Mom was a fabulous cook and all of my friends used to complain that THEIR Moms couldn't cook like mine.

That's awesome!

It's been 2.5 hours since I ate my mayo with tuna and I'm really queasy. Dang it. Could it be the Canola oil? Do Celiacs have problems with that? Or could I have developed an intolerance to tuna?

cahill Collaborator

That's awesome!

It's been 2.5 hours since I ate my mayo with tuna and I'm really queasy. Dang it. Could it be the Canola oil? Do Celiacs have problems with that? Or could I have developed an intolerance to tuna?

tuna can contain soy oil , did you check your tuna for soy?

bartfull Rising Star

What brand of tuna was it? Did you read the label? From what I have read, some tuna has vegetable broth in it and that broth contains soy.

I used to love tuna as a school kid. I ate it every day. When I found out that there were dolphins caught in the nets and processed right along with the tuna, I gave it up. Years later when they started having "dolphin safe" tuna, I started eating it again but only for a while. I found that I was getting queasy from it. I don't know if it was because of soy or what. I just don't bother eating it anymore.

KikiB Explorer
tuna can contain soy oil , did you check your tuna for soy?

What brand of tuna was it? Did you read the label? From what I have read, some tuna has vegetable broth in it and that broth contains soy. I used to love tuna as a school kid. I ate it every day. When I found out that there were dolphins caught in the nets and processed right along with the tuna, I gave it up. Years later when they started having "dolphin safe" tuna, I started eating it again but only for a while. I found that I was getting queasy from it. I don't know if it was because of soy or what. I just don't bother eating it anymore.

Kirkland brand: White tuna, water, salt. Pyrophosphate added. No soy, no broth.

Do you have a problem with soy? Or just tuna?

mushroom Proficient

I eat Costco's tuna all the time; in fact it's the only tuna I eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I DO have trouble with soy, but my reactions are usually skin related. The tuna made me sick to my stomach. But that could have been psychosomatic. Maybe I was still thinking about the dolphins.

But getting back to you - maybe it WAS the canola oil. Not that it has gluten or anything, but until you heal completely, just about anything might set you off. (Personally, I no longer like the taste of canola oil. I can actually tell if a potato chip was cooked in it by the taste.) Maybe you can try making mayo with a different kind of oil next time. I like sunflower oil the best, but everyone is different.

mushroom Proficient

bartfull has a good suggestion. I won't eat canola either unless I am desperate. Why don't you try using light olive oil? It doesn't have the strong taste of regular extra virgin olive oil. Sunflower is okay but I think we all get enough omega-6.

love2travel Mentor

I, too, make my own condiments and such from scratch. Using regular olive oil, as Mushroom suggests, is by far the best oil for making aioli. Believe me - I've made it countless times using different oils, methods, etc. Though I love my extra virgin olive oils, they are just too much for aioli. Regular olive oil has what is called a better "mouthfeel" in vinaigrettes and aiolis.

Canola oil would also be my very last scraping-the-barrel choice but as I have about 13 kinds of oil, that won't happen. ;)

KikiB Explorer
I DO have trouble with soy, but my reactions are usually skin related. The tuna made me sick to my stomach. But that could have been psychosomatic. Maybe I was still thinking about the dolphins. But getting back to you - maybe it WAS the canola oil. Not that it has gluten or anything, but until you heal completely, just about anything might set you off. (Personally, I no longer like the taste of canola oil. I can actually tell if a potato chip was cooked in it by the taste.) Maybe you can try making mayo with a different kind of oil next time. I like sunflower oil the best, but everyone is different.

bartfull has a good suggestion. I won't eat canola either unless I am desperate. Why don't you try using light olive oil? It doesn't have the strong taste of regular extra virgin olive oil. Sunflower is okay but I think we all get enough omega-6.

I'll look for sunflower oil. (My sister made the same mayo with olive oil, and it did not taste good.)

Maybe I should try eating just tuna with nothing on it (ick) and see if I get sick again. But not right away...

KikiB Explorer

I, too, make my own condiments and such from scratch. Using regular olive oil, as Mushroom suggests, is by far the best oil for making aioli. Believe me - I've made it countless times using different oils, methods, etc. Though I love my extra virgin olive oils, they are just too much for aioli. Regular olive oil has what is called a better "mouthfeel" in vinaigrettes and aiolis.

Canola oil would also be my very last scraping-the-barrel choice but as I have about 13 kinds of oil, that won't happen. ;)

I've never liked extra virgin olive oil. I've always heard it was the best, so I assumed it would taste better than regular. Maybe I'll look into the regular (or the light that Mushroom suggested).

Could it be the Canola oil that made me sick? Or is it more likely the tuna?

mushroom Proficient

I really can't imagine either of them being a problem, per se. I just happen to not like canola oil and also the fact it is genetically modified stuff always turns me off. As I say, I eat Costco tuna all the time.

The only way to figure out if you do have a problem with either is to try them separately.

love2travel Mentor

I've never liked extra virgin olive oil. I've always heard it was the best, so I assumed it would taste better than regular. Maybe I'll look into the regular (or the light that Mushroom suggested).

Could it be the Canola oil that made me sick? Or is it more likely the tuna?

Brands vary like crazy, too. Some Greek EVOOs are soooo mild. I prefer Italian or my favourite, Croatian. Good EVOO oils should be either in tins or dark glass and say "cold pressed". I get mine from specialty stores and olive groves on our travels. But I do buy my regular olive oil from grocery stores.

I dislike canola oil for the same reasons Mushroom cites. I wonder whether it was the tuna that got you sick. Was it packed in water or oil? Either way, sorry you aren't feeling well! :(

KikiB Explorer

Brands vary like crazy, too. Some Greek EVOOs are soooo mild. I prefer Italian or my favourite, Croatian. Good EVOO oils should be either in tins or dark glass and say "cold pressed". I get mine from specialty stores and olive groves on our travels. But I do buy my regular olive oil from grocery stores.

I dislike canola oil for the same reasons Mushroom cites. I wonder whether it was the tuna that got you sick. Was it packed in water or oil? Either way, sorry you aren't feeling well! :(

Thank you! It was packed in water.

Happyw5 Explorer

Maybe you are reacting to the raw egg yolk. I can eat eggs only if they are baked in something. Raw eggs or even just cooked eggs make me very sick. My brother and nephew have this same problem.

MJ-S Contributor

My family has always made our own mayonnaise (it's common to do this in Spain and France). Super-easy. This is our recipe:

Ingredients

2 eggs (can also use 1 egg for smaller amount, but beginners should start with 2 as it will blend more easily)

1 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon), or to taste

Salt

About 2 cups olive oil (use regular olive oil, NOT extra virgin, or it will taste too strong) - about 1 to 1 1/2 cups if you're using 1 egg.

Splash of red wine vinegar (optional)

Procedures

1. Place eggs, lemon juice, and salt in the bottom of an immersion blender cup.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the cup is clean and completely dry. Water can mess up the emulsification process. If this happens, you just get liquid instead of thick mayo. This is why so many of the commenters in the original recipe complained about getting a liquidy mess.

2. Pour oil on top. I don't measure it, but usually go just over halfway up the cup, or about 2 cups, or slightly less than halfway up the cup if using 1 egg.

COUNTER-INTUITIVE: The more oil you add, the THICKER the mayo will come out.

3. Place head of immersion blender at bottom of cup and switch it on.

4. As mayonnaise forms, slowly tilt and lift the head of the immersion blender until all oil is emulsified.

5. Season mayonnaise to taste with vinegar (just a few drops).

6. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I can't vouch for how long it lasts - it never lasts more than a few days in my household! :)

KikiB Explorer

Maybe you are reacting to the raw egg yolk. I can eat eggs only if they are baked in something. Raw eggs or even just cooked eggs make me very sick. My brother and nephew have this same problem.

Interesting. I still feel poorly and it's been nearly 24 hours.

SUZIN Newbie

This is the recipe I use....No eggs, no cooking..... gluten-free Mayo 1/2 Cup oil, 1/2 Cup water, 1 Tablespoon Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan, 1 teaspoon sweet rice flour....put all in a blender and blend till it is creamy, it takes a while ....This is the basic mayo.....you can add other seasonings to make it a variety....One type I make I call Ranch...I add 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch to thyme...it will thicken in the frig and it will keep 2 to 3 weeks in the frig....Instead of using the blender jar one of the things I do is measure all the ingredients in a pint canning jar, then I screw on my Hamilton Beach blender blades on the top of the jar, and blend it right in the pint jar...while I am blending the mayo I remove the jar and shake it a couple times to make sure everything is being blended.....by putting it in the jar I'm going to store it in I don't have to transfer it from the blender....that way I don't have to bother cleaning out the blender jar.....I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I sure have used it allot, and it makes a nice mayo....

cahill Collaborator

This is the recipe I use....No eggs, no cooking..... gluten-free Mayo 1/2 Cup oil, 1/2 Cup water, 1 Tablespoon Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan, 1 teaspoon sweet rice flour....put all in a blender and blend till it is creamy, it takes a while ....This is the basic mayo.....you can add other seasonings to make it a variety....One type I make I call Ranch...I add 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch to thyme...it will thicken in the frig and it will keep 2 to 3 weeks in the frig....Instead of using the blender jar one of the things I do is measure all the ingredients in a pint canning jar, then I screw on my Hamilton Beach blender blades on the top of the jar, and blend it right in the pint jar...while I am blending the mayo I remove the jar and shake it a couple times to make sure everything is being blended.....by putting it in the jar I'm going to store it in I don't have to transfer it from the blender....that way I don't have to bother cleaning out the blender jar.....I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I sure have used it allot, and it makes a nice mayo....

Have you tried it with out the Xantham gum?

I can not do the xantham gum I wonder how it would turn out with out it ??

Happyw5 Explorer

Have you tried it with out the Xantham gum?

I can not do the xantham gum I wonder how it would turn out with out it ??

Could you use guar gum

cahill Collaborator

Could you use guar gum

I was wondering if that would work.I will have to research guar gum and see what it is / where it comes from.
love2travel Mentor

I make my own aiolis, dressings, vinaigrettes and so on all the time (cannot recall when I even bought it last) and have never had the need to add Xanthan or guar gum. There are other ways of emulsifying without using them, such as adding some Dijon mustard in addition (or instead of) mustard powder.

KikiB Explorer

I make my own aiolis, dressings, vinaigrettes and so on all the time (cannot recall when I even bought it last) and have never had the need to add Xanthan or guar gum. There are other ways of emulsifying without using them, such as adding some Dijon mustard in addition (or instead of) mustard powder.

Thanks!

Thanks! What kind of oil and what kind of vinegar do you use?

Ginsou Explorer

I'm also allergic to soy. I buy Costco's Kirkland brand and do not have a problem with it, and use Spectrum or Hellman's/Best canola mayo. On occasion I also make my own mayo. At one time I was able to use the Polar brand tuna, purchased at Smart and Final, but haven't been near any Smart and Final stores for almost a year. If a can of tuna says vegetable oil is an ingredient, beware!

Guess the gremlins are in my computer, don't know why the post is all underlined.

Archived