8 replies to this topic

#1 quincy

quincy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Just had my check up at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University. I started with a bone scan after a year and a half wait since last one.

Unfortunately, my gluten free diligence, supplements, and organic whole foods diet, and exercise has not improved some of my density readings, specifically at the right hip.

My GI wants me to see an Endo with bone specialty.

has anyone had similar difficulty in improving bmd? I don't know if I am eligible for Forteo as I don't think I am at the point of fracture, but I am only 51 and don't want it to get worse or stay the same as it is. My T score for the neck of the right hip is -2.5

thanks for any feedback from those fellow sufferers.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hi Quincy.....I have not had a repeat bone density since my last one in 2011. Not in any hurry as it does take longer to build
bone in us 50 somethings than it does for the younger crowd. I am 53 and female. I have osteopenia in the hip and osteoporosis in the spine but am hoping that has changed for the better. I also take supplements and work out weight training in the gym twice a week. Can't do any more than that and I don't take any bone drugs as I want to see if what I do helps.

I am sorry things aren't improving yet for you but hang in there....it just might take longer than you think. I am interested to hear what the referral doc will have to say about it.

#3 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

..........but I am only 51 and don't want it to get worse or stay the same as it is. My T score for the neck of the right hip is -2.5

I'm a male/ 68 and yet to have a bone scan. I notice when I jog that my left hip begins to hurt after about 5 minutes. The right is OK. The pain comes and goes throughout a 30 minute walk/jog treadmill workout. What symptoms does a T- score of -2.5 have? Am I starting osteopenia myself?

Until I can get a scan, I'll err on the side of caution.

#4 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'm a male/ 68 and yet to have a bone scan. I notice when I jog that my left hip begins to hurt after about 5 minutes. The right is OK. The pain comes and goes throughout a 30 minute walk/jog treadmill workout. What symptoms does a T- score of -2.5 have? Am I starting osteopenia myself?

Until I can get a scan, I'll err on the side of caution.

Hi Opa,

The first test I had after my diagnosis was a bone density scan. I was surprised because I always worked out and felt strong. I was shocked to find out I had osteopenia. My first symptoms leading up to a diagnosis was pain in my right hip.

a score of -2.5 is borderline osteoporosis, so if my score was -2.6, for example, I would officially have osteoporosis for that particular bone, in my case the neck of the hip bone.

I would strongly advise that you speak to your doctor, or perhaps an endocrinologist, to have a bone scan done, though I don't know your diagnosis as celiac or gluten sensitivity.

#5 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

.................... though I don't know your diagnosis as celiac or gluten sensitivity.

Celiac for 30 years.

"Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not." I definately will see a Doc. Thanks for posting this topic.

#6 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Celiac for 30 years.

"Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not." I definately will see a Doc. Thanks for posting this topic.

Opa3,

keep in mind, I went undiagnosed for probably most of my life, so the osteopenia was the result of malabsorption. You have been gluten free
for many years, so it would have to be assumed that you have healed and been absorbing calcium and vit D properly during that time. You
may be having muscle pain in the area.

#7 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

It might be an idea to check your Vitamin D, Calcium, Ionised Calcium and PTH ( several times ) - in case you have a Parathyroid adenoma causing the bone loss. Most Drs don't get Hyperparathyroidism at all - they still think it is a rare disease.. If they kept up to date they would find the stats are 1 in 250 woman over the age of 50 have HPT... which I would not call rare - would you ? Only one cure and chance to reverse the bone loss of HPT and that is surgery.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#8 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Vitamin D level? Check that out before going over board on the Ca++.

#9 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Finally, got a bone scan. :mellow:

I was Dx'ed with osteoporous of the lumbar spine (T-2.7), osteopenia of the left hip (T-1.7) and Femoral Neck (T-2.3).

Vit D was normal at 41.0 (range:30.0-100.0). The other bone nutrients calcium (serum=9.7) and albumin (serum=4.5) were normal. However, I still need to determine if an imbalance of phosphorous and PTH exist.

My PCP Rx'ed generic Fosamax, 70 mg, 1 tab/week. I opted to take Country Life's Calcium (1000mg)/Magnesium(500mg)/Phosphorus(500mg).  These Target-Mins are CGF.

Also, to boost Vit D level, I'm taking 1000 IU, 1 tab/daily.

Only time will tell if this treatment improves T values for me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: