4 replies to this topic

#1 Happyw5

Happyw5

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

So I live in a pretty small town and they are going to be having a gluten free dinner party for celiacs! You have to call and preregister and let them know what you are bringing. I am really excited because I love cooking and baking... Now, what should I take.. I made a few things today just to try from my new cook book and they turned out awesome, I just can't decide.. Any ideas or favorite recipes?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm not much of a cook so I would end up bringing something store-bought. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I'll be doing Saturday night. I've been invited to a surprise birthday party for a friend and I know there will be at least one other celiac there. I may buy some of those Udi's chocolate muffins and the rest of them can be jealous because I bet none of their food tastes as good!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'd be tempted to bring a flourless chocolate torte w/ chocolate ganache garnished w/ raspberries. Yum. Brazilian cheese rolls (made w/ tapioca flour) are a super appetizer too! Recipes for both are all over the internet.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

If you do the cheese rolls/bread they have to be warm. They're super yummy, super easy... and super awful once they're cold. I'm usually a mac&cheese kind of person for that sort of thing. I also used to make a killer enchilada casserole although I haven't made it in a long time. I like it because it can be meat free if you want, or dairy free if you do a cheese sub instead. Can't really get around having beans in it though. <_<

In my heart of hearts though, I'm a baker. I would look for the first excuse to bring dessert instead of a dinner food. I love making fancy cookies because everyone oohs and aahs over them and generally drools over how awesome they look before they even taste them. :D Plus cookies are good because everyone can just grab one or two and it doesn't involve slicing or serving or any of that nonsense. Bring a disposable dollar store platter and you don't have to collect anything later.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Happyw5

Happyw5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

A chocolate torte sounds amazing! I am a big dessert person as well and I love baking. I did try eclairs yesterday and they turned out amazing(my sisters and mom loved them). I am going to try these individual almond-rasberry cakes tonight. I think cookies are a good idea too. So many decisions, I just love baking, unfortunately, I also love eating!!! I am bringing my sister with me, so I will probably bring two things since she is not gluten free. Thanks for your help-I am going to google those recipes!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: