#1 Elixyia

Elixyia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hi,
I've just signed up to this website because hopefully someone here can interpret my results from my genetic test!
Basically this is the result, which makes very little sense to me unfortunately!

HLA DQ2 Alleles

DQA1 *05 Positive
DQB1 *02 Positive

HLA DQ8 Alleles

DQB1 *0302 Positive

My GP decided that it wasn't necessary to do the stomach lining biopsy because I have been living gluten free for the last couple of years believing I simply had an intolerance to gluten, and for the biopsy results to be accurate I would have to be consuming gluten - which for me would be a nightmare of eczema and stomach cramps. However these results are apparently a very strong indicator for celiac disease, is this what people here have found?
How likely is it that I am in fact celiac, or could I still be simply intolerant?

Thank you in advance.
El

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Welcome!

Having the genes is part of the picture, but many people have the genes without ever developing celiac disease.

Since your body has told you it does not want you to eat gluten, you are known to be intolerant. But a biopsy at this point would be negative even if you do have celiac disease. After two years gluten-free, your intestine would likely be completely healed.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: