17 replies to this topic

#16 gfyvr

gfyvr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

When I was in Germany there were health food stores named Reformhaus-or something close to that spelling. Do they still exist? I found them everywhere it seemed-in small towns and larger ones plus there was one in the Frankfurt International airport where I was able to pick up snacks for my trip home.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

When I was in Germany there were health food stores named Reformhaus-or something close to that spelling. Do they still exist? I found them everywhere it seemed-in small towns and larger ones plus there was one in the Frankfurt International airport where I was able to pick up snacks for my trip home.

Ohh---  That's so good to know that Frankfurt airport has a Reformhaus!  Thank you for the information.  I'll be connecting flights there both ways.  

Just FYI for travelers checking this thread out in the future:  I contacted the German Celiac society and they have a list of foods that are safe for purchase in the supermarket- updated yearly.  Unfortunately, you do have to pay for it (probably about $30-35), but the representative said it was 600 pages long so I guess they have to cover the cost of printing it at least.  It is worth it to me because I'll be there 5 weeks and must find food that I do not have to cook or microwave in addition to eating out.  Plus, I can't be trusted with labels in German, although I guess I'll still need to check (or at least try to) in order to be 100% sure since we all know products change.

#18 NJKen

NJKen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes, there are Reformhauses all over Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  Those that carry food are a good source for gluten-free items, but some of them only have natural pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: