7 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have a 12 year old silent celiac. (Only found due to her Hashimotos and a great pediatrician) She has been gluten-free a year this month! I made chicken marsala tonight with gluten free rice pasta and the Campbell's skillet sauce. It was actually a new brand of gluten-free pasta...rice plus flax. I couldn't see anything on the skillet sauce that wasn't gluten-free. She had a tummy ache and diarreah after it. Because she usually doesn't react, I find myself OVERREACTING wondering if it was something I gave her. Has anyone had this and did ok? Could it be flax? She only had D once and is fine now...acting perfectly normal. If it really is gluten-free, I recommend that to everyone...it was yummy! I guess it could have been lunch. We went to Hardees and got her a burger wrapped in lettuce. I go in to make the people change gloves and put it on a new paper. I have never had issues with it before. But that was 6 hours before her D. Who knows?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 glutenfreeliac

glutenfreeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

according to the campbell's people, the skillet sauces are *not* gluten-free. this may be the source of your daughter's problem.

@booksquare We’re sorry you had trouble. Our Skillet Sauces aren’t gluten free. Visit http://t.co/XjepSbtZ for gluten free options.

https://twitter.com/...225393527128064

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

ditto on the Campbells ....I had an issue and contacted them.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Oh thanks! I called them today and they confirmed it was NOT gluten free. I asked her to look and tell me what it could have been since all I can do is read labels. She pulled it up and said it could have been the modified food starch. Thankfully, I have read from Peter enough to know that is NOT true in America. So I told her that would not be true since labeling would require them to say wheat. She put me on hold and then came back and said I was right. (Thanks Peter) She said it doesn't have wheat but that they are not required to put every ingredient. They have 2% they do not release due to "secret recipes". Apparently, it is barely, rye, or oats. Who knows. She didn't even know. All she knew was it was NOT gluten free. I told her about my dd reaction and she is reporting it. Just label it NOT GLUTEN free under the ingredients! You don't have to tell me any secrets!

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

secret ingredient or not if it contains wheat, I think they should report it -- isn't that why we now have the new labeling laws???? I wish these companies would get their heads out of --------------- & just report the ingredients...

On another note flax can cause to much roughage for many so at another time that may also cause the Big D & belly aches....

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Barley (malt), rye, and oats did not make the top 8 allegergens list that they MUST post.
Michigan

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

As time passes, celiacs on a gluten free diet tend to react more strongly to cross contamination or glutenings.

#8 anngf4life

anngf4life

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

What else should we be concerned with? I wish more people knew that this is an extreme problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: