Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anyone With Adrenal Fatigue And Gluten Intolerance?

9 posts in this topic

I have been suffering with terrible back pains all my life.

3 years ago I started gluten free - just to be in this with my son who had an autoimmune condition, and, surprisingly, my bakc pains (back muscle spasms) have gone.

Along with depression, insomnia and other nice symptoms.

This way I found I am not celiac, but gluten intolerant.

Unfortunately last September my symptoms returned in milder form, and new symptoms added (orthostatic low blood pressure, hypoglicemia, blurred vision, constant fatigue etc etc) - and this despite that I am keeping the GFDF diet very strictly.

By the collection of symptoms I found out I have adrenal fatigue (another condition not recognized by conventional medicine, but making people suffer greatly).

I took measures recommended for adrenal fatigue (first of them was gluten free caseine free, but I was already on that, very high doses of vitamin B5, very high doses of magnesium, limitation of potassium - and again my symptoms improved greatly - apart from insomnia and morning orthostatic pressure, and inability to function the first hour-two in the morning and until stretching...

Frustrating is that I cannoot reduce the dose of B5 and Mg - I am highly dependent on them.

If you have experience and tips to share, I would be very grateful.

I am aware of leaky gut and convinced I have this too. Anticandida therapy (oregano oil) in process...

Any other factors? What expectations on cure?

THank you

Ads by Google:

I have adrenal fatigue, leaky gut, all that fun stuff too.

Interesting, my back pain and adrenal issues have also been the thing that has taken the longest to heal itself. I am making progress though, so I hope I can help!

This supplement, and the diet that goes with it (it's basically a Paleo diet) is what really helped me begin to heal. http://www.ovitaminpro.com/repairvite.html

Expensive stuff, but worth it!

This doctor also has a wonderful guide here on his website for healing your gut: http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-5-heal-your-gut

My adrenals have been helped most by sticking to the diet, not drinking coffee, and also lately I've been taking licorice root extract, and that has helped a ton.

Also, are you eating foods high in magnesium and B5 as well? I know that personally I do way better when I eat the real food versions of nutrients, sometimes in addition to the supplements if I'm really deficient. Liver is very high in B vitamins, and I've been a lot healthier since I added some liver into my diet a couple times a week. I've also been making huge batches of bone broth, which is a powerhouse of nutrients and makes you feel great.

I hope that was helpful! All the best to you!

I hope that was helpful! All the best to you!

Very very much helpful! Many thanks!

I will try the licorice root - the rest I am more or less in line with... Thank you for great links.

Health to you too!

I have had adrenal fatigue and control it using supplements. I have leaky gut and am using a rotational diet. I am suspecting my hypoglycemia is caused by malabsorption.

Diana

I am suspecting my hypoglycemia is caused by malabsorption.

Diana

What is the connection between the two? I have suspected I have mild hypoglycemia issues since I almost always (like 80% of the time) get extremely nauseous if I am even 15-20 minutes late for a meal, or if I've eaten certain foods in abundance. I also have malabsorption to some extent (low ferritin and steatorrhea, among other things, but I assumed these were due to SIBO, which I had previously).

I have had adrenal fatigue and control it using supplements. I have leaky gut and am using a rotational diet. I am suspecting my hypoglycemia is caused by malabsorption.

Diana

Please, what supplements do you use?

Have you tried eating more protein. I am exhausted if I eat mostly carbs. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner and the next day I was wiped out even though I had plenty of protein for breakfast.

So, I see now after a quick search that malabsorption and hypoglycemia are connected somewhat via frustose malabsorption. I know for sure (or pretty sure) that I do not have that since I did a hydrogen breath test specifically for fructose a couple of years ago and it was negative.

Definitely had severe adrenal fatigue, it's getting better though. Well what can I tell you, number 1 of course is to avoid all stress to the furthest extent possible. I don't know how bad you got it but when I was at my worse I could barely move from the bed and every little noise or whatever felt like a huge stress.

Stop cardio exercise and probably weightlifting too, depending on what stage of adrenal fatigue that you're at. Focus on walking out in the sun during the day, shopping your food or whatever.

Having family and friends that understand and respect your condition and don't overburden you would probably be a huge help. I found hanging out with my cat has helped out, as cats provide company but don't expect so much of you as people usually do.

Just as excessive exercise avoid all stimulants. Obviously drugs and alcohol are a big no no. I would avoid caffeine and sugar too.

As far as diet is concerned DO NOT do a low carb diet, low-calorie diet, a candida cleanse diet or whatever, this is a HUGE stress on your adrenals. Eat plenty of non gluten starch, plenty of non casein protein, plenty of healthy fats such as butter and coconut oil, and water to keep hydrated of course

Personally I'm of the opinion that nutrition should be used instead of supplements to the furthest extent possible. I currently supplement with vitamin D3 and nothing else since I live in Sweden. I am open to suggestions on supplements but basically a lot of the time they're very expensive, you never quite know if they're working and I think you can improve with diet and lifestyle changes