This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Gluten Free...

Kyla72

Kyla72 Newbie

Hi everyone! I recently found a website that suggested gluten could be the cause of my problems. My symptoms are many and i have had lots of blood tests which all came back fine.

I have felt exhausted for years, dragging myself from day to day. I have suffered with severe depression, sleep disorders, night sweats, cystitis without infection, painful muscles, headaches, all the gastric problems and lactose intolerence. it had got to the point where i was embarrassed to admit how bad i felt and my kids were complaining that i was always in bed. so i decided to try being gluten free. it has made the most massive difference that i feel like i need to pinch myself to check i am not dreaming. most of my sypmtoms are gone, i still feel tired but nothing compared to the dibilitating exhaustion that i had before. i started to feel better within a few days. a week in i accidentally ate some and was back in bed for 2 days. i have booked a blood test but i will be 3 weeks gluten free be the time it is done. will this effect the result? i desperately do not want to back to eating gluten.

sorry this was so long, if you are still reading, thankyou very much. x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello, and welcome Kyla.

Yes, I am sorry to say that after three weeks gluten free there is no way to guarantee that the testing will be an accurate result. Antibodies retreat from the bloodstream if there is no gluten there to fight. :) Do you have a PCP who could fax in a blood test lab slip for you so you don't have to wait for an appointment? You could always call and ask. And go back to your bed and eat gluten until then :rolleyes:

kbenj1 Newbie

I am in the same boat as you. I have had all kinds of symptoms that made getting through the day difficult. All my blood work has come back perfect, yet going gluten free has made all the difference. I feel like a new person! I tried the diet on my own without having any biopsies, but am scared to go back to gluten. I recently had a small amount of gluten accidentally, and paid severely for it.

Archived