2 replies to this topic

#1 Kyla72

Kyla72

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi everyone! I recently found a website that suggested gluten could be the cause of my problems. My symptoms are many and i have had lots of blood tests which all came back fine.
I have felt exhausted for years, dragging myself from day to day. I have suffered with severe depression, sleep disorders, night sweats, cystitis without infection, painful muscles, headaches, all the gastric problems and lactose intolerence. it had got to the point where i was embarrassed to admit how bad i felt and my kids were complaining that i was always in bed. so i decided to try being gluten free. it has made the most massive difference that i feel like i need to pinch myself to check i am not dreaming. most of my sypmtoms are gone, i still feel tired but nothing compared to the dibilitating exhaustion that i had before. i started to feel better within a few days. a week in i accidentally ate some and was back in bed for 2 days. i have booked a blood test but i will be 3 weeks gluten free be the time it is done. will this effect the result? i desperately do not want to back to eating gluten.
sorry this was so long, if you are still reading, thankyou very much. x

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hello, and welcome Kyla.

Yes, I am sorry to say that after three weeks gluten free there is no way to guarantee that the testing will be an accurate result. Antibodies retreat from the bloodstream if there is no gluten there to fight. :) Do you have a PCP who could fax in a blood test lab slip for you so you don't have to wait for an appointment? You could always call and ask. And go back to your bed and eat gluten until then :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kbenj1

kbenj1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I am in the same boat as you. I have had all kinds of symptoms that made getting through the day difficult. All my blood work has come back perfect, yet going gluten free has made all the difference. I feel like a new person! I tried the diet on my own without having any biopsies, but am scared to go back to gluten. I recently had a small amount of gluten accidentally, and paid severely for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: