#1 marie75

marie75

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hi All,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a reaction to an accidental glutening about a day and a half after eating something? I had an early dinner at a restaurant on Saturday that is the only questionable thing I could have eaten over the last few days (besides that I've only eaten food I've prepared since then). I had a grilled chicken salad, which the waitress assured me was 'safe' to eat. I'm worried that maybe there was cross-contamination or maybe the chicken was marinated in something. My typical gluten symptoms kicked in on Monday morning (very frequent/excessive urination, bladder pain) and lasted most of the day. The last two days I've been lethargic, anxious and very depressed (also typical symptoms for me). The only thing I can pin down as being at all questionable was that chicken salad, but I usually react to gluten within about 3 or so hours of eating it. I haven't had an incident in almost a year though, so maybe my reaction time is getting longer? If anyone has thoughts or similar experiences, please feel free to comment.

Thanks!
M

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a reaction to an accidental glutening about a day and a half after eating something?

AFAIK, yes. It takes 3-5 days for my symptoms to occur, but I also have NCGI not Celiac.

#3 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Yes some of my reactions are delayed. I always get bloating, distention and the accompanying nausea and abdominal discomfort that results w/in 30-45min of eating the food. Depending on the level of exposure I may also develop a canker sore, chelitis, migraine, and fatigue ~48hr later.

I am also NCGI.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I react like Birdie22; I get a stomach ache and bloating pretty quick and a headache follows a few hours later that lasts a few days. All symptoms seem to show up with a few hours , I've not noticed any that take days to appear but I haven't been glutened much.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

My most obvious symptoms come the next day. Sometimes I get symptoms the same day, but then again sometimes I think I do and then the next day I'm fine. It takes two days for my son. With smaller amounts, I find that it can take a few days to build up and I might not notice until I've had something for several days. I try not to add new things more than once a week because of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: