7 replies to this topic

#1 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Same as the title really....can DH flare-ups be a signal that the body has recently taken in gluten, however small? As per here: http://en.wikipedia....s_herpetiformis

FWIW - I've had DH for a couple of years now and found that elocon seems to dampen it down quite well. I tend to use it very sparingly. Lately I'm experimenting with not using the elocon to see if it goes on it's own.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 texas flood

texas flood

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I don't know. From what I've read here, Iodine can trigger it. So that could be it as well.

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

zamm0, Yes, it can be a sign of having recently taken in gluten. I would say especially if you have been gluten-free for a couple of years & have not had any dh outbreaks in at least several months. If you are under the 2 year mark then it's possible that it's just a "spontaneous outbreak" which can also happen any time until all the antibodies are out of our skin.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 sharese28

sharese28

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'm going through that right now recently diagnosed and i've developed these skin rashes on my face back neck etc :angry: after going gluten free don't know if i've ingested gluten unintentionally or if it's my body trying to get everything out of my system.

newly diagnosed celiac disease

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm going through that right now recently diagnosed and i've developed these skin rashes on my face back neck etc :angry: after going gluten free don't know if i've ingested gluten unintentionally or if it's my body trying to get everything out of my system.

That's almost impossible to say for sure. Only you would be able to tell.......maybe......  And that's also why it's soooooooo important to make absolute, for sure, no doubt about it positive, that you are not getting the slightest amount of gluten.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Same as the title really....can DH flare-ups be a signal that the body has recently taken in gluten, however small? As per here: http://en.wikipedia....s_herpetiformis

FWIW - I've had DH for a couple of years now and found that elocon seems to dampen it down quite well. I tend to use it very sparingly. Lately I'm experimenting with not using the elocon to see if it goes on it's own.

Elocon is a topical steroid.

My experience was even after weaning off of my topical, and using barely enough to dampen the tip of a qtip, when I finally went cold turkey for a few days....whammo. Outbreak.

So, I wouldn't assume you've ingested gluten if you're weaning off. I'd assume you're going through that typical steroid withdrawal bounce-back.

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 koalbish

koalbish

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

Every time I get contaminated with gluten I flare up and it takes weeks to go away. It mostly happens when I eat out and I think the food is safe.

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

That's why I refuse to eat out no matter how safe one might think it may be. The only way to be sure is to be in total control of all your own food. With the outbreaks I get there is NO WAY I'm taking any chances until all the antibodies have gotten out of my skin.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: