This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, Wanting To Drop Some Weight/sweet Tooth Is A Problem

Chrissyb

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Heyt everyone, I could really use some help. I am wanting to drop about 20-30lbs, but I have an awful sweet tooth, always have. I grew up eating lots of pastries and candy and I still crave it. ry ove I will make sweets at least other week. They are a comfort food to me. Addicted. I need sjomething to replace these. I can not eat much fruit because it gives me mounth sores. What can I haave to satisfies this problem. I want to get rid of this weight by May. I just joined a gym so I know this will help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Hey Chrissy,

I have always had a sweet tooth too! I cant do much with the "sweet suggestions" unless you can do apples, dried cranberries, and raisins - if so, I have a fantastic recipe for something thats healthy but sweet. In terms of losing weight - I've had a lot of success on the Primal diet. Its a no carb, high protein//veggie/healthy fats diet and its really worked for me. There's a website you can go on to get some recipes - marksdailyapple.com. Once you get over the hump of not having carbs you dont crave the sweet stuff as much anymore - and for someone like me to say that, thats a lot!!!! You drop weight and build muscle fairly quickly, plus you're eating good foods. I started a thread on it in this section a while ago - you may want to refer to it because there were some great suggestions in there for others doing the Primal/Paleo diet. Hope this helps!!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I haven't ever focused on the scale, but on eating what is healthy. This rules out sweets. I have had 4 cookies in 5 years, and those were in the first year. I don't crave sweets any more. I would rather dream about them! Make sure you take in good fats with each meal like olive, coconut, and butter (ghee). These will make you feel full and keep you satisfied. I have a tablespoon with each meal. I also take in 3-5 oz of protein for every meal. All of these are recommendations from my chiropractor and they work very well for me. For snacks I have muffins, (made from almond flour) fruit and nuts, or smoothies. I take hard boiled eggs or nuts with when I go out, so I am not tempted to eat something else. These have saved me many a time when I can't find anything appropriate to eat.

VeggieGal Contributor

Hey Chrissy,

I have always had a sweet tooth too! I cant do much with the "sweet suggestions" unless you can do apples, dried cranberries, and raisins - if so, I have a fantastic recipe for something thats healthy but sweet. In terms of losing weight - I've had a lot of success on the Primal diet. Its a no carb, high protein//veggie/healthy fats diet and its really worked for me. There's a website you can go on to get some recipes - marksdailyapple.com. Once you get over the hump of not having carbs you dont crave the sweet stuff as much anymore - and for someone like me to say that, thats a lot!!!! You drop weight and build muscle fairly quickly, plus you're eating good foods. I started a thread on it in this section a while ago - you may want to refer to it because there were some great suggestions in there for others doing the Primal/Paleo diet. Hope this helps!!

Hi Laura, where will I find the thread you started and the recipe as I'm in the same boat!! Thanks, Helen

• 2 months later...
GFceliacgirl Newbie

I could live off Sugar!!  Try to eat only 1 sweet treat a day.  If you eat a lot of sugar daily you may go through sugar withdraws for awhile, but eventually you may notice that you are thinking about it less often and even go days without it.  I love Peanut Butter mixed with Honey, Bananas and Peanut Butter, LARA Bars (flavors blueberry muffin and Chocolate chip cookie dough), KIND Bars (flavor peanut butter dark chocolate+protein), & apple wedges dipped in peanut butter. 

Archived