8 replies to this topic

#1 JennShad

JennShad

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Is blistering a necessary characteristic in order for it to be considered DH?....before a biopsy either confirms it or not that is. Mine has never blistered.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,040 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

"Can a skin rash be associated with celiac disease?
Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is an itchy, blistering skin condition that is a form of celiac disease. The rash usually occurs on the elbows, knees and/or buttocks, and is characterized by its bilateral nature; both knees (and/or both arms) are affected, seldom just one. Many people with DH have no digestive symptoms and only about 40% of them have the positive blood tests (serology) for celiac disease. However, they almost always have the same, gluten-dependent intestinal damage as those with more common symptoms of celiac disease.
DH is diagnosed by a skin biopsy, which involves removing a tiny piece of skin near the rash and testing it for the IgA antibody. DH is treated with a gluten-free diet and medication to control the rash, such as Dapsone or Sulfapyridine. Drug treatment is short term, usually until the gluten-free diet begins to relieve symptoms. It’s not necessary to perform an intestinal biopsy to establish the diagnosis of celiac disease in a patient with DH; the skin biopsy is definitive."

Some pictures from a reliable source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0002451/

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 jlaw

jlaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi Jenn, my DH comes in many different forms all at once. Some of them are not blisters at all but still definitely DH, so I would say the answer is no.
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

No, it does not have to blister. Read the entire thread in this link:
http://www.celiac.co...ns-of-dh-types/

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 JennShad

JennShad

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thank you guys for the input, it's really helpful.

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,040 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think that, according to the experts, DH does blister. I posted a couple of medical references about this. It could be possible that after you have been gluten-free, it doesn't come back as strong when glutened.

Here's a few more:

http://celiacdisease...matitisHerp.htm

http://www.dermatiti...iformis.org.uk/

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

DH presents as blisters on me.

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

There are other skin conditions associated with celiac disease besides DH: http://celiacdisease...-Many-Forms.htm

#9 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I saw a new Dermatologist today. This is the 5th one that has looked at my skin to determine what the rash is or is not. He asked if I had blisters (yes) and said he really wished he had seen a blister. I had pictures and described how I used a sterile needle to release the fluid from blisters. That seem to satisfy him that I had blisters even though I have quite an area of rash that the skin has broken and inflamed. Gave me another steroid cream and warned me about infection, told me not to scratch. He asked me, "Does it feel like nettles?" "You ever gotten into a nettle patch?" My reply is "Yes sir."

He wasn't really happy that I was on Dapsone but did take 2 more biopsies NEXT to the lesions on my lower back. He asked if I had had a G6PD test to see if I could tolerate Dapsone. Not had that so he ordered that test. So, not sure without seeing a blister and with being on Dapsone what this biopsy will show but he documented on my record that I had DH.

I told him about the Dermatologist that told me to see a mental/health doctor. He defended him by saying that the skin on my back is thickened from rubbing, scratching and the lesions healing and that is why he would have told me it was neurological in nature. I guess he had to speak up for his associate. :rolleyes:

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: