7 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

My natropah doc ttold me to take digestive enzymees in thee morning without food. ddoesnt this just seeem to defeat tthhe purpose too you?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

You never take digestive enzymes without eating. They are meant to break down food better. Did he mean probiotics instead? Those you take on an empty stomach, at least a half hour before food.

#3 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

No she 100% said to take them in the morning without food. and yes it was digestive enzymes because I even asked her again at my next appointment to make sure.

You never take digestive enzymes without eating. They are meant to break down food better. Did he mean probiotics instead? Those you take on an empty stomach, at least a half hour before food.

Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am not a doctor but use digestive enzymes myself at every bigger meal because I have pancreatic insufficiency.. I would advise you not to take them every morning on an empty stomach because you might end up with a stomach ache. They are meant to be taken with meals, to aid in digestion for those that need them. Your doctor is giving you bad advice.

#5 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

My natropah doc told me to take digestive enzymes in the morning without food. doesnt this just seem to defeat the purpose too you?

My bottle of DE is labeled with "1 capsule at the beginning of each meal." I believe that 's the first bite.

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

My bottle of DE is labeled with "1 capsule at the beginning of each meal." I believe that 's the first bite.

You can take them half way through or at the end of each meal....doesn't matter. As long as they go into your gut when you are eating food or your stomach is full of food.

#7 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

i take them and yes, they go with the food. not on an empty stomach. your doc is mixed up. as people have said, they are meant to arrive at the stomach and intestines at the same time as the food. their purpose is to break down the fat, proteins and carbs in your food.

i'm a huge fan of them - i feel like they've kept me alive and healthy for 15ish years when i didn't know (until this winter) that it was gluten causing my problems. i hope they make you feel great too.

if you're lactose intolerant, lactase enzymes will help too. they aren't in the digestive enzymes. i take a one-a-day kind, made by Schiff called Digestive Advantage, Lactose Intolerance therapy. just in case you want the info.
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

#8 anonymous_123

anonymous_123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I take my papaya enzymes after a meal. I take probiotics on an empty stomach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: