Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can A Glutening Cause Water Retention?

5 posts in this topic

I was accidentally glutened on Wednesday. I stupidly ate some hash browns that say "may contain traces of wheat" and within 90 minutes I was very sick. I am on Weight Watchers and today I stepped on the scale (not my official weigh in day) and I was up 1 lbs. I am not cheating on my diet at all so I wondering if being glutened can lead to water retention. I am still dealing with lingering symptoms (stomach ache, headache, achy joints, tummy bloat, exhaustion) 2 days later.

Ads by Google:

I would like to know. I use to carry about 30 extra lbs of water weight around in my pre gluten free and pre supplement days.

I reckon so. I always get a bloated stomach and puffy cheeks after a glutening...

I lost 15 lbs after going gluten-free without eating any less. In fact I ate more treats to prove to myself I wasn't being deprived of anything. I'm certain it wasn't fat I lost (darn it) but was bloat and water; I could see a real difference in my face and midsection, not to mention my ankles.

I believe gluttening could cause water retention... but I have no "proof" to back that up.

Good luck with the Weight Watchers! I found them great for relearning portion sizes.

Yes. But the root cause isn't necessarily the gluten itself, but would be related to the inflammation. Inflammation can cause swelling. I stopped having serious fluid retention when I gave up grains altogether.