25 replies to this topic

#1 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just when I thought the docs were done with me ,one of them comes up with this <_<
Now I have to test my blood sugar multiple times a day, record the test results and show them to my doc on my next visit .

Thats it ,,,,, food is truly trying to kill me :ph34r:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

I had roast pork, a baked sweet potatos with sour cream and a ( pretty large :rolleyes: ) dish of unsweetened cherries last night for dinner . My blood sugar was 154 after dinner and was 41 :ph34r: this morning .
:o I think I am in trouble here.
I have given up soooooooooooooo many foods and my diet is soooooooooooo limited ,, I really have no idea how to eat to deal with this
When I give my doc my testing results he may want me to see a dietitian but TRULY I have NOOOO ABSOLUTELY NO confidence in a dietitian trying to tell me how to eat .

Any suggestions???

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

I was having this same problem for the longest time and it's horrible and kinda scary so I feel for you.

To start with, does your sugar drop like that during the day or just at night?

That dinner was higher in sugar then in protein so it makes sense that your sugar bottomed out. It's possible that if you had a protein filled snack before dinner that it would have counteracted the amount of sugar in the sweet potatoes and cherries.

If just eating protein before bed does not help then you would also have to limit the amount of sugar that you intake. For example, to keep my sugar where it needs to be I have to try and limit my sugar to around 30g of added sugar a day and also eat at regular times. It's not easy and it's a pain in the rear end to figure out how much sugar is in what I put in my mouth and making sure that I eat, but it's worth it since I haven't had a hypo problem in over a year.

#4 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

I had roast pork, a baked sweet potatos with sour cream and a ( pretty large :rolleyes: ) dish of unsweetened cherries last night for dinner . My blood sugar was 154 after dinner and was 41 :ph34r: this morning .
:o I think I am in trouble here.
I have given up soooooooooooooo many foods and my diet is soooooooooooo limited ,, I really have no idea how to eat to deal with this
When I give my doc my testing results he may want me to see a dietitian but TRULY I have NOOOO ABSOLUTELY NO confidence in a dietitian trying to tell me how to eat .

Any suggestions???

Hi, this is my first post....I haven't felt knowledgable enough about most things "gluten" to offer help...I been lurking and learning, lol. - but I have been living with this particular little gift for 4 years. (Yeah, yet another complication of Celiac I think).

On the one hand it's a complicated area - you have to find your own limits, but on the other hand, it's EASY. You simply have to keep your sugar intake at any one meal low (I have to keep it at 7-9 grams), keep away from refined carbs in general, and balance carbs that you do eat with some protein (or fat).....
This means that you don't have to cut ANYTHING out, for example if I want to eat something sugary, I look at how much sugar is in it and make sure I don't go over 7g sugar. This could be 2 gluten-free cookies, but NO MORE and make sure it's after a healthy meal of veggies and protein.

I'm not sure if this is of any help, feel free to ask more!

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

I was having this same problem for the longest time and it's horrible and kinda scary so I feel for you.

To start with, does your sugar drop like that during the day or just at night?

I just got my meter and start testing/ tracking yesterday ( right before dinner) so these where my first test results ,, and I have to say they are pretty scary to me .
I am having trouble during the day also which was why I went to the doc to start with . I did not realize how low I am going in the AM until I tested this AM

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hi, this is my first post....I haven't felt knowledgable enough about most things "gluten" to offer help...I been lurking and learning, lol. - but I have been living with this particular little gift for 4 years. (Yeah, yet another complication of Celiac I think).

On the one hand it's a complicated area - you have to find your own limits, but on the other hand, it's EASY. You simply have to keep your sugar intake at any one meal low (I have to keep it at 7-9 grams), keep away from refined carbs in general, and balance carbs that you do eat with some protein (or fat).....
This means that you don't have to cut ANYTHING out, for example if I want to eat something sugary, I look at how much sugar is in it and make sure I don't go over 7g sugar. This could be 2 gluten-free cookies, but NO MORE and make sure it's after a healthy meal of veggies and protein.

I'm not sure if this is of any help, feel free to ask more!

Your post is of help thank you for posting :) I am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now but I am sure I will have questions at some point .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

As has been said, if you're not hooked on gluten-free substitutes, and cookies and candy in general, it's not a terribly hard adjustment, comparatively. You don't have to **eliminate** anything.

You have to balance your fat, protein, carbs, and fiber. Carbs spike blood sugar - sugar fastest, complex carbs more slowly. Fat, protein, and fiber all slow how quickly your body breaks down carbs (by simply being another component ony our stomach). So, you have to find the ratio of these macronutrients that allows your body to digest sugar slowly enough that your pancreas responds well (doesn't produce too much insulin, thus causing your blood sugar levels to plummet quickly).

For me, when I had the worst trouble with hypoglycemia, I found a 25/25/50 to 30/30/40 ratio to be around the right spot for me. It's different for others, so you definitely need to ind your sweet spot.

I also had to often space out my meals - two or three snacks a day was vital! Carrying good food was a must. Not a candy bar, though I found some of the Kind bars and a few other ones were sufficient.

One things that worked for me is that being diligent with those ratios allowed me more freedom with them with less blood sugar swings. As though I retrained my body to deal with varying amounts of sugar, and I retrained my brain not to make choices that would vary sugar widely. That leaves me better able to handle having a piece of cake, for instance. Just not often. :) And I now my body well enough now to know if I've eaten sufficiently in balance to do so without getting symptoms.

It's worth noting that different people respond slightly differently to different foods. Some of that may be people, so the food. Many people find bananas too high in sugar and prone to cause a blood sugar spike (and subsequent fall). I rarely found that to be the case. But I eat my bananas very firm (less ripe) than many people do, which is when their complex carb count is higher and sugar content lower.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I was going to say a lot of what tarnalberry just said. I don't have too many problems myself, but I've struggled right alongside my husband while we try to get him straightened out. I've also noticed that while he is fine with one food, my niece may not be okay with it. A lot of what you'll find is individual discovery. If my husband grabbed a dish of cherries, I'd be all over him in a heartbeat to make it a handful and have them with yogurt. Instead of a whole apple, we share an apple and have it with a little nut butter. He has a pretty serious problem with shooting through the roof and bottoming out but as long as he remembers (or I nag him enough) about balancing all of his sweets with proteins it smooths out those spikes a lot for him.

While I have little to no faith in dieticians in relation to helping with a gluten free diet, my husband and I have received immense amounts of help by seeing a dietician for him. Besides, you aren't actually required to do everything they tell you to. The one we saw was very cool about generalizing without getting into every last detail about every food. She was all about helping to make the right decisions and how to get to a good place without saying eat X Y and Z. It was a lot of this is how foods of these types will effect your blood sugar, grouping them thus does generally does this... blah blah blah. Maybe you'll see someone with a similar philosophy. If not and it is an unbearable meeting, you always have the option to just say right in the middle that you don't think they'll be able to help you and walk out.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input , it is most helpful :)
I am feeling much less overwhelmed ( still a bit scared ) about this. I tested often yesterday and was amazed at the fluctuations and the tremendous range of those fluctuations :ph34r: .
So on to finding what works and does not for me ,,, :huh: seems like I have done that before with food, <_< , ( a few times :P )

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

OK , A BIT of a rant here

I worked really really hard to get dairy back into my diet I think it was 18 months - 2 years gluten free before I reintroduced dairy into my diet .
NOW it looks like dairy is a MAJOR issue with my blood sugar ( sending it sky high then bottoming out WAY low, dangerously low ,then it takes days to get it leveled out again ) ARE you kidding me !!REALLY ,, I MEAN REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I am going to cry :( Dairy has been my go to food , my if I am hungry pop in anywhere and grab something food , my only true convenience food ,,,, THE ONLY food I would/could even risk if eating out .( think full fat cottage cheese / fruit plate)....................................NOW I have lost that AGAIN :angry:

I just dont believe this.... AS IF my diet is not restrictive enough NOW THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats it( stomps foot :angry: ) I DO TRULY believe food is trying to kill me :ph34r:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

For me I need vegetables and I need them for breakfast. I hate it. I've learned to sautéed a big handfull of spinach in a pan, then make a crepe/omelet and stuff it with the spinach for breakfast. That's how I get veggies in the am, for example.

If your yogurt is high protein, sugar free it may help. It may also just be the fruit.

I had to really cut back the fruit in the beginning. Half an apple with peanut butter. Max 10 grapes with cheese. It helped that the sweetness made me sick. Your palate will adjust.

For me it was fiber from veggies and beans. My body really responds positively to it.

I also started exercising. As I built muscle mass and dropped weight (really it was more muscle mass, I think) I was better able to control swings.

I did have to very eat frequently when adding exercise - I was making kale/spinach smoothies with avocado and cocoa powder there for a while. Had to get the veggies in there in massive doses, and very little fruit.

Good news is as you learn your triggers you can add back more sweets. You just have to learn how/when.

I also had to steer clear of carbs like rice. I'd spike really bad with them.

Also, when I hit that hideous hypo point where I'd eat and eat to try to get my sugar up, I found 12 Ghiradelli semisweet chips fixed it. Hilarious, right?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

For me I need vegetables and I need them for breakfast. I hate it. I've learned to sautéed a big handfull of spinach in a pan, then make a crepe/omelet and stuff it with the spinach for breakfast. That's how I get veggies in the am, for example.

If your yogurt is high protein, sugar free it may help. It may also just be the fruit.

I had to really cut back the fruit in the beginning. Half an apple with peanut butter. Max 10 grapes with cheese. It helped that the sweetness made me sick. Your palate will adjust.

For me it was fiber from veggies and beans. My body really responds positively to it.

I also started exercising. As I built muscle mass and dropped weight (really it was more muscle mass, I think) I was better able to control swings.

I did have to very eat frequently when adding exercise - I was making kale/spinach smoothies with avocado and cocoa powder there for a while. Had to get the veggies in there in massive doses, and very little fruit.

Good news is as you learn your triggers you can add back more sweets. You just have to learn how/when.

I also had to steer clear of carbs like rice. I'd spike really bad with them.

Also, when I hit that hideous hypo point where I'd eat and eat to try to get my sugar up, I found 12 Ghiradelli semisweet chips fixed it. Hilarious, right?

yep , mine is dried apricots to get me back up ( I am refined sugar / artificial sweetner free )

My yogurt was plain ( unsweetened ) greek yogurt with unsweetened blueberries ( doing a trial on fruits now, too much at a time makes me nauseous but a small amount with a protein seems fine ) Cottage cheese with plain veggies sent me ALL OVER the charts :( .
Swiss cheese ( with ham ) was milder reaction but a reaction never the less ( I may try it again later) I dont even dare try cheddar cheese... it is my kryptonite.
Thanks for the suggestion on the breakfast veggies ( I HATE vegetables ) I will try that.
I am grain free except rice and that I limit very very strictly but it may go completely soon. I am eating more legumes and they are fine.

I see my endo on Tuesday so I hope ( after I vent all over her :P ) she will have some suggestions .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

yep , mine is dried apricots to get me back up ( I am refined sugar / artificial sweetner free )

My yogurt was plain ( unsweetened ) greek yogurt with unsweetened blueberries ( doing a trial on fruits now, too much at a time makes me nauseous but a small amount with a protein seems fine ) Cottage cheese with plain veggies sent me ALL OVER the charts :( .
Swiss cheese ( with ham ) was milder reaction but a reaction never the less ( I may try it again later) I dont even dare try cheddar cheese... it is my kryptonite.
Thanks for the suggestion on the breakfast veggies ( I HATE vegetables ) I will try that.
I am grain free except rice and that I limit very very strictly but it may go completely soon. I am eating more legumes and they are fine.

I see my endo on Tuesday so I hope ( after I vent all over her :P ) she will have some suggestion .

Is your dairy fat free? If it is it may help to eat a fatty one to slow down sugar conversion. Or dairy may be, like you observe, your kryptonite.

Veggies are key for me. I hate it. It's like my body is flipping me the bird. Don't get me wrong, I like veggies...I just hate having to eat so many, so early in the day. Every day. It's like taking medicine.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#14 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Is your dairy fat free? If it is it may help to eat a fatty one to slow down sugar conversion. Or dairy may be, like you observe, your kryptonite.

Veggies are key for me. I hate it. It's like my body is flipping me the bird. Don't get me wrong, I like veggies...I just hate having to eat so many, so early in the day. Every day. It's like taking medicine.

I did not even think about that but yes the yogurt was fat free, the cottage cheese however was full fat ,, so I may ( as much as it pains me stomps foot again ) I may have to set dairy a side for now.with the hope that once I am somewhat stable I can test it again .

It is ironic that veggies are something that ( it appears anyway) I can eat freely with out a negative effect on my blood sugar, . Wouldnt you know it , it would not/ could not be something like dairy or donuts :P :lol: :lol:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I did not even think about that but yes the yogurt was fat free, the cottage cheese however was full fat ,, so I may ( as much as it pains me stomps foot again ) I may have to set dairy a side for now.with the hope that once I am somewhat stable I can test it again .

It is ironic that veggies are something that ( it seems now anyway) that I can eat freely with out a negative effect on my blood sugar . Wouldnt you know it , it would not/ could not be something like dairy or donuts :P :lol: :lol:

Exactly!

Ironically, now that I can eat more sugar/carbs without my blood sugar going nuts I find it still makes my stomach feel bloated and uncomfortable...and of course, that's after binging for a month after making that exciting discovery.

So where am I? Back to eating a little sweet, here and there. Usually grain free.

Sometimes I'm a slow learner, I tell 'ya!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: