#16 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Exactly!

Ironically, now that I can eat more sugar/carbs without my blood sugar going nuts I find it still makes my stomach feel bloated and uncomfortable...and of course, that's after binging for a month after making that exciting discovery.

So where am I? Back to eating a little sweet, here and there. Usually grain free.

Sometimes I'm a slow learner, I tell 'ya!

I am right there with ya :lol:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think I am heading the same way. I can't seem to handle fruit at the moment. I can manage say 3 dates, but not raisins or apricots. The thought of eating fruit after a month without makes me nauseous.

I can just about handle white rice, in small doses, but it pushes me towards cravings. I have tried cheddar cheese an am staying firmly in denial that I am getting congestion and cravings. Sigh.

Still, I do like the avocados and sweet potatoes I am living on.

There is a pot of Greek yogurt calling too. Trying to hold off...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#18 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think I am heading the same way..

I hope not but if so you are in good company ^_^

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#19 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I saw my endo yesterday,,,, First let me say I ♥ that woman ! She so gets (understands) me :lol:

Reactive Hypoglycemia , yep and of course she wants to know why. She is doing more tests ( of course :rolleyes: ) because she has to rule out anything nasty before we move on .

But do these doc's live in the same world we do :P ??
Her suggestion that I eat every 2 hours was meet with laughter :lol: My work place will be sooooo not impressed with that :lol:
and how do I eat continuously and not gain a tremendous amount of weight :wacko: so my next stop is the dietitian

Knowing my opinion of dietitians , Doc made sure to tell me to " play nice" with the dietitian :lol: she said that the dietitian " may not know squat about celiacs but she can help me with the hypoglycemia " as I said I ♥ that woman :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

I saw my endo yesterday,,,, First let me say I ♥ that woman ! She so gets (understands) me :lol:

Reactive Hypoglycemia , yep and of course she wants to know why. She is doing more tests ( of course :rolleyes: ) because she has to rule out anything nasty before we move on .

But do these doc's live in the same world we do :P ??
Her suggestion that I eat every 2 hours was meet with laughter :lol: My work place will be sooooo not impressed with that :lol:
and how do I eat continuously and not gain a tremendous amount of weight :wacko: so my next stop is the dietitian

Knowing my opinion of dietitians , Doc made sure to tell me to " play nice" with the dietitian :lol: she said that the dietitian " may not know squat about celiacs but she can help me with the hypoglycemia " as I said I ♥ that woman :D

Vegetables and lean protein. It ain't sexy but it works.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 JoH

JoH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

OK , A BIT of a rant here

I worked really really hard to get dairy back into my diet I think it was 18 months - 2 years gluten free before I reintroduced dairy into my diet .
NOW it looks like dairy is a MAJOR issue with my blood sugar ( sending it sky high then bottoming out WAY low, dangerously low ,then it takes days to get it leveled out again ) ARE you kidding me !!REALLY ,, I MEAN REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I am going to cry :( Dairy has been my go to food , my if I am hungry pop in anywhere and grab something food , my only true convenience food ,,,, THE ONLY food I would/could even risk if eating out .( think full fat cottage cheese / fruit plate)....................................NOW I have lost that AGAIN :angry:

I just dont believe this.... AS IF my diet is not restrictive enough NOW THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats it( stomps foot :angry: ) I DO TRULY believe food is trying to kill me :ph34r:

Have you tried full fat dairy? Look at the back of a carton of skim milk, full fat milk, half and half, and whipping cream and compare the number of carbs. If I remember correctly (I'm not at home) the whipping cream has *no carbs*. I remember being shocked the day I realized this. So I tested my blood sugar, drank some whipping cream, waited for a bit, and tested it again. And it hadn't moved a single point.

I find I do just fine with a mix of 2/3 half and half and 1/3 whipping cream. Or if I need to raise my blood sugar, I can just drink a swig or two of half and half. For me it seems to have just enough carbs to raise my blood sugar and plenty of fat to hold it in place.
Non-celiac gluten intolerant. Extremely sensitive (my celiac friends use me as their canary in a coal mine). I have been glutened by walking past a bag of flour, petting a dog that just ate gluten-based food, and eating food with my hands among other unique and wonderful ways. If you can think of it, I've done it!

Chronic fatigue, reactive hypoglycemia, transient anteretrograde amnesia affecting episodal memory, sensitivity to light, sound and movement, foggy thinking (I get stupid) / difficulty forming sentences, asthma, IBS, GERD, arthritis, rosacea, seborrheic and atopic dermatitis, gum disease, under-mineralized teeth, easy bruising, soft nails, and hair loss. Also, strangely, food tastes different when I'm glutened.

All symptoms significantly improved or gone on gluten free/allergen free diet, although chronic fatigue, amnesia, reactive hypoglycemia, asthma, and rosacea still persist to varying extents.

Allergic to nightshades, mushrooms, apples, pears, quince, citrus, blue cheese and hemp. Lactose and coconut intolerant. Yes, I cook a lot.

#22 JoH

JoH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I did not even think about that but yes the yogurt was fat free, the cottage cheese however was full fat ,, so I may ( as much as it pains me stomps foot again ) I may have to set dairy a side for now.with the hope that once I am somewhat stable I can test it again .

It is ironic that veggies are something that ( it appears anyway) I can eat freely with out a negative effect on my blood sugar, . Wouldnt you know it , it would not/ could not be something like dairy or donuts :P :lol: :lol:

How funny. For me if I eat just veggies my blood sugar shoots up and then plummets. I was amazed when I realized I can't just eat a salad or a plate of veggies. And let's not even talk about fruits. I have to have a decent amount of fat with my veggies or I'm sunk.

Here's the secret - if your blood sugar doesn't go *up*, then it doesn't go *down*. The paleo/primal diet has been a godsend for me. High fat/low carb/moderate protein keeps my blood sugar from bouncing around. When I started I had to keep under 30 carbs a day to keep my blood sugar level. Now I'm up closer to 80-100 I think, and I don't have problems - as long as any time I eat carbs I eat fat.

Of course the minute I get glutened my blood sugar heads for the toilet, but that's a whole different story...
Non-celiac gluten intolerant. Extremely sensitive (my celiac friends use me as their canary in a coal mine). I have been glutened by walking past a bag of flour, petting a dog that just ate gluten-based food, and eating food with my hands among other unique and wonderful ways. If you can think of it, I've done it!

Chronic fatigue, reactive hypoglycemia, transient anteretrograde amnesia affecting episodal memory, sensitivity to light, sound and movement, foggy thinking (I get stupid) / difficulty forming sentences, asthma, IBS, GERD, arthritis, rosacea, seborrheic and atopic dermatitis, gum disease, under-mineralized teeth, easy bruising, soft nails, and hair loss. Also, strangely, food tastes different when I'm glutened.

All symptoms significantly improved or gone on gluten free/allergen free diet, although chronic fatigue, amnesia, reactive hypoglycemia, asthma, and rosacea still persist to varying extents.

Allergic to nightshades, mushrooms, apples, pears, quince, citrus, blue cheese and hemp. Lactose and coconut intolerant. Yes, I cook a lot.

#23 JoH

JoH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think I am heading the same way. I can't seem to handle fruit at the moment. I can manage say 3 dates, but not raisins or apricots. The thought of eating fruit after a month without makes me nauseous.

I can just about handle white rice, in small doses, but it pushes me towards cravings. I have tried cheddar cheese an am staying firmly in denial that I am getting congestion and cravings. Sigh.

Still, I do like the avocados and sweet potatoes I am living on.

There is a pot of Greek yogurt calling too. Trying to hold off...

Have you tried fresh fruit? Fresh fruit has a lot less carbs then dried fruit. Berries particularly are fairly low in carbs for fruit. I can't even imagine eating dried fruit - it would send my blood sugar to the moon - but 1/4 cup of blueberries along with some fat works beautifully.

#24 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

Thanks JoH, I will try again when I am feeling brave, others have suggested berries too :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#25 JoH

JoH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Take it nice and slowly. :) Even a banana would set my blood sugar bouncing, but berries work really well for me. And you can find some good charts of the carbs in different types of fruits on the web.

This one's decent:
http://www.lasting-w...arb-fruits.html

It says 1/2 cup of dried dates has 62 carbs (eek!) a banana has 27 carbs, and 1/2 cup of blueberries has 10 carbs. I usually eat about 1/4 cup of blueberries, so I guess 5 carbs (plus the dairy) works for me...

#26 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

On a good day I might manage 3 dates! Thanks for the info, more pieces of the puzzle :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: