4 replies to this topic

#1 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

For 2 months now, I've been reading and commenting on this board, and i have to say how glad i am to have found you all. It's like i've found people who are "my" people!

My first food allergy was at 2 weeks, when my pediatrician had my mom giving me orange juice, and i vomited it across the room. That was the start of the food fun, i suppose. I've had terrible teeth and saw a few posts in the past week about others with that problem, so i looked online and found that celiac is the underlying cause of it! I've been allergic to citric acid since i was about 15 - but never met another person who was. And here there are a bunch of you that have it in your sig lines! Citric acid is evil stuff!

At about that same age, I became lactose intolerant, too. i've been taking digestive enzymes since i found them about 15-20 years ago and no doc could ever explain to me why i needed them to be able to eat - but here there are many people who use them. i've had all these food allergies/intolerances and other than my mom, never known anyone else who also had so many. When I order in a restaurant I have to ask "does this have cinnamon/oregano/basil/thyme/pork/citrus/blah blah in it?" Now I add gluten on to the list. I had the worst acne of almost anyone i knew - and a lot of people here also have skin issues.

I just read someone's post that said they were in their 50's and the first sign that they'd gotten glutened was their face the next morning. YES! I get that face too!

*sigh*

so i know this is a bizarre post but i just had to say thanks for being here. I'm learning so much by reading everyone's posts - so many of my "odd" symptoms seem to be connected to celiac disease. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but at the same time, am thankful for me not being the only person with all of this stuff. I think people here understand - and after feeling like the weirdest person around, I'm glad for some company living in Food Intolerance Land.

btw, how do you put info into your sig lines?
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

btw, how do you put info into your sig lines?

In the upper right corner, click on your username. In the pop-up, click on "My Profile." Click "Edit my Profile." On the left, click "Signature." Don't forget to click "Save Changes" at the bottom when done.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I had to come because I laughed when I saw this post. I find myself often mentioning conversations from here to my husband and instead of saying things like "so I was talking to the people on the forums" which takes forever to say I stick with "I was talking to my people" or "my people say" and he knows exactly who I mean. I've been calling everyone here my people probably since I just started coming. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Sometimes misery loves company. It was something I could show my kids and say, "Look how many other people have this!!?" You are not alone.
Michigan

#5 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I had to come because I laughed when I saw this post. I find myself often mentioning conversations from here to my husband and instead of saying things like "so I was talking to the people on the forums" which takes forever to say I stick with "I was talking to my people" or "my people say" and he knows exactly who I mean. I've been calling everyone here my people probably since I just started coming. :D

Your post made me laugh out loud! Very cute!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: