21 replies to this topic

#1 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hi all....today I'm feeling a bit under the weather. My diet is gluten free, dairy free, I try to eat soy free and I can't have eggs. I have to eat low purine foods which means even some meats are off limits! I know there are others out there with a severely restricted diet....how do you cope? I know that the less often I eat these foods the better off I will feel but I don't know how to handle it right now. I feel really good physically and I've only been eating this way for about a month but sometimes I get psychological cravings too. So far I've managed to tell myself that feeling better is more important. Any coping advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I know exactly how ridiculous it is to not be able to eat perfectly healthy and normal food! I've had a lot longer to deal with it, it has been about 7 months for me and it also may or may not be permanent, I don't know yet. At this point I make jokes because I can either laugh about it or cry about it. I mean, I can't eat spinach and come on, how stupid is that? My husband will find something that he thinks is awesome for me and be like "can you eat this?" and I"ll read the label and hand it back "nope, it has blindness in it." I'm much happier having vision in my left eye, it doesn't make not being able to eat things like leafy greens, beans, for a long while nuts, or fermented foods (which meant not having a traditional New Year's with sauerkraut) suck any less. It just gives it reason and makes it bearable. Being able to make jokes, at this point because there is SO MUCH that I can't eat, makes the difference between it just being another part of my life or going crazy.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thank you Adelaide it helps to know I'm not alone in this. No one in my immediate family has these issues and my husband and I go through the same thing in the store. It means I'm surrounded by food that makes me feel like crap and the knowledge that it's the forbidden fruit so to speak. So far I've managed not to give in. But it's hard.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi Rymorg,

Maybe you can look at it another way? You can eat as much of the non-forbidden foods as you want right? And you can combine them anyway you desire. Or modify them with various spices or flavorings or different combinations. Perhaps you can think up a special treat for yourself that you only eat when feeling deprived? Or once a year or so? For me my food cravings went away over time as I got used to eating differently. I really think a lot of it is habit. We are used to eating certain things as we grow up and get in the habit of thinking they are "the" food for us. But there are lots of other foods in the world to choose from. It may take some effort to find them and figure out which ones you like though.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Thank you that's a very good idea. I have been trying to find substitutes for the things I have been craving which works to a certain extent. I will try this as well.

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi rymorg,

I'm also gluten/dairy/soy and mostly egg-free, and yep, it's tough. I miss cheese so much! And soy is the root of all evil. It's been really tough, not just because I can't eat what I want, but because it's so damn hard to avoid. A bit of soy-lectin and I'm screwed. I definitely get depressed about it sometimes, but think, well, it could be a lot worse.

Instead I have definitely found substitutes. I'm a popcorn addict (corn is still ok. fingers crossed), drink almond milk, get nice gluten-free/Vegan/soy free treats where I can. The best way is to appreciate the fact that you feel good by not eating those things, so best to keep it that way.

And yeah, I'm the same with the label reading: Oh, this is gluten free! but it has all the other things I'm not allowed to eat. Yey...

It's a tough slog, no doubt, but stick to it and you're body will feel better, and then Iikely you'll feel better about the whole thing and can simply adapt and live your life... vegan cake and all.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I try to think of eating as a necessary bodily function. I try not to think of it as something pleasurable or non-pleasurable. Just necessary, like breathing or going to the bathroom. I get it out of the way and get on with the rest of my day.

That being said, I can NOW eat things I enjoy. For the first year it was just 11 foods (including butter and salt), and it was eating to stay alive, but I thought eating because it tastes good was never going to happen.

Eventually I was able to add a lot back. Maybe if you can think that way (necessary function but maybe in a year or so you can start eating treats again), it'll be easier.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi all....today I'm feeling a bit under the weather. My diet is gluten free, dairy free, I try to eat soy free and I can't have eggs. I have to eat low purine foods which means even some meats are off limits! I know there are others out there with a severely restricted diet....how do you cope? I know that the less often I eat these foods the better off I will feel but I don't know how to handle it right now. I feel really good physically and I've only been eating this way for about a month but sometimes I get psychological cravings too. So far I've managed to tell myself that feeling better is more important. Any coping advice?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease and later reactions to dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. I know all those foods cause extreme pain and bloating, except cane sugar, which also causes nausea and tachycardia. I initially abstained to feel better. I eventually realized that all those restricted foods were 'ingredients', not just specific foods. So, when I changed the ingredients by finding substitutes for everything I can't eat, I learned to bake (with great allergy free baking books) and prepare almost anything I previously ate (before diagnoses). I'm lucky that most of my allergies are just ingredients which I can replaced in baked goods and other dishes. (I recently made gluten, dairy, soy free lasagne!) My husband has specific food allergies (blueberries, grapes, almonds, sesame), as well as some 'ingredient' foods. Nevetheless, even he learned to substitute other foods. We've discovered many new ethnic cuisines, which we previously would never have considered. He was rather 'picky' about what he ate, but allergy diagnoses forced him to try many new foods, most of which he likes. I was diagnosed later in life. So I figure that I spent enough years eating egg in various forms and cottage cheese, usually as part of 'diets'. Now i focus on all the foods I can eat, which I previously overlooked.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#9 giggleburger

giggleburger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have a friend who's vegan, so when I make things to bring and share I always make it gluten free and vegan. If you start looking at all the (non soy based) vegan items and then just edit them to fit your other needs it makes it a lot easier to find other substitutes and food items so that you don't feel as restricted. If you keep forcing yourself to think that way and outside of the box eventually the cravings will lessen a lot. =]

#10 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Thank you all that is great advice. I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing...and feeling a little better physically helps. Thinking about how bad I feel when I eat those things helps me to avoid eating them, even if I really want them. I've just had enough of being sick and worn out.

My husband is the cook in our family, and does a good job at making things we can all have, as well as keeping the utensils he uses when cooking gluten free seperate. We've experimented some, but I think we need to branch out some. He made me some fish yesterday....flounder....and while I'm not normally a fish eater I've found several types that I actually like.

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

On top of Celiac, I can't have peanuts, and have now gone entirely grain and sugar free
in an attempt to control some pretty intense system-wide inflammation. Also, a lovely gift
from my ex-boyfriend before I broke up with him left me with cold sores, which I never got
before, so now I have to observe the herpes diet if I don't want outbreaks. Which means
no (or low) nuts, seeds, and chocolate. So much for that Paleo fudge made from almond
butter! Sigh..... I feel your pain darling. It really is worth it to feel good though. The longer
you feel that healthy, the easier it gets to tell yourself, "Yes, this is worth it."
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#12 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thank you as well. I have found it getting a little easier again, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

#13 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Well I'm doing a but better now. It's getting easier even if my diet is still limited I feel so much better it's not worth it to cheat. I'm gluten free, dairy free and for the most part soy free as well. I'm traveling out of town next week for work so we will see how that goes.

#14 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Many of us here understand where you are ,, we have been there. Try not to concentrate on what you can not consume , try to concentrate on what you can consume and how healthy your body will become .

** I am gluten,soy,corn, sugar/artificial sweetener and peanut free. I am grain free with the exception of rice ,which I strictly limit . I am mostly nightshade free and I am limited in the fruits and vegetables I can eat. I limit the amount of dairy and legumes in my diet . I can not eat chicken or beef. Most meats do not agree with me.
But I still find plenty to eat :D As someone already said , it takes changing the way we cook/ think about food but ...............
I feel better today than I have EVER in my entire life . THAT is soooooooooooooo very worth the limited diet .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#15 rymorg2

rymorg2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh yeah I forgot artificial sweeteners too, and nightshades. I'm not completely sugar free but I do limit it. I can't have eggs or turkey or beef either. Corn is ok. I think that's part of what's made it easier is changing how I think about it.

But it's certainly nice to know I'm not alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: