#16 granolagal

granolagal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi rymorg2,

I don't have much to add other than to echo what everyone else has said on here. I am in the same type of boat as you. Gluten-free vegetarian who just had a food intolerance test reveal that I now need to try going yeast-free, oat-free, dairy-free, peanut-free....and the list goes on. I try not to let it get me too down. I go back and forth between allowing myself to have a moment of "this sucks" and then turning around and saying "but in the grand scheme of things this aint that bad". I agree with all the recommendations on here - it's not about eliminating as much as replacing. I can't have peanuts, but I can have almonds! Etc. And the idea of a splurge, or highlight is a good idea too. I try to focus on the things I can have. Like when I find something good that is actually "everything-free" I really celebrate it. I'm hoping that'll I'll be able to reintroduce some foods back into my diet in a couple of months, so I've used that to cope mentally (thinking some things *may* be temporary).

Anyway, you are definitely not alone. Good luck. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 slickdaddy0077

slickdaddy0077

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

WOW!!  7 days after changing my diet and lifestyle,  I have noticed a HUGE difference in how I feel to be gluten free.  I want to thank this forum for sharing all of their experiences and keepeing me positive through this.  I am seeing and feeling positive changes and could not be happier. :D  I have more energy, no more belly cramps, elevatet positive mood, am actually enjoying the foods that are available etc.

I do have one very strange thing happening now.  I crave salt. Onion salt, Garlic salt, not so much sea salt.  Any idea why this could be?

Once again, thank you all for your support. I will continue to post my progress along the way.  This week will be a test.  I am traveling and living in a hotel for a week. I have some gluten-free snacks with me but will have to search for gluten-free fre restaurants.

Wish me luck! ;)

Thank you! :D

Michael L.

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I hope it goes well Michael!  Look for fruits, nuts, and salads.  The usual problem with salads is they put croutons on them by default, or throw a chunk of bread on them.  Make sure they know you don't want that.  Sometimes restraunts can provide a couple of veggie side dishes.  I had those a few times without problems.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

WOW!!  7 days after changing my diet and lifestyle,  I have noticed a HUGE difference in how I feel to be gluten free.  I want to thank this forum for sharing all of their experiences and keepeing me positive through this.  I am seeing and feeling positive changes and could not be happier. :D  I have more energy, no more belly cramps, elevatet positive mood, am actually enjoying the foods that are available etc.

I do have one very strange thing happening now.  I crave salt. Onion salt, Garlic salt, not so much sea salt.  Any idea why this could be?

Once again, thank you all for your support. I will continue to post my progress along the way.  This week will be a test.  I am traveling and living in a hotel for a week. I have some gluten-free snacks with me but will have to search for gluten-free fre restaurants.

Wish me luck! ;)

Have you had your thyroid checked??

most onion salt and garlic salts  have  added iodine ,  most  sea salt does not ..

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#20 Welda Johnson

Welda Johnson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I joined this forum for the first time in 2000 or 2001.  Have spent the past 12 years going through the same things as all of you in the posts above, I always think it will get easier, and, certainly, at times it does seem easier, but it seems that being intolerant of all grains, all milk & dairy, egg whites, yeast, casein, whey, maltodextrin, modified food starch and msg is definitely a daily challenge.  Learning to cook almost all foods at home and to be so diligent when eating out have been two concerns.  Reading those tiny ingredient labels always makes me wish I had a magnifying glass at the store, and figuring out new and appetizing recipes keeps my brain functioning continuously, but, I think, the greatest challenge is mixing with other people socially, because just about each and every social activity centers upon food.  "Oh, you can't eat that?' or "Can't you have just a little bit?" seem to be common responses, and then the lengthy explanations begin, but I must say that more and more people are now aware of their intolerances, and are living with the same challenges we do.  Today I read about the flak Gwyneth Paltrow is taking for keeping her two kids on special diets because of gluten and milk allergies.  To those of us who are working so hard to be healthy, and to encourage others to do the same, I send special greetings this Memorial Day.  We are still here, and we are still working to be strong.  Happy Day! 

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Learning to cook almost all foods at home and to be so diligent when eating out have been two concerns.  Reading those tiny ingredient labels always makes me wish I had a magnifying glass at the store, 

I DO take a tiny magnifying glass to the store with me! :)   and check out "find me gluten free" to see if anyone has posted a review for a local safe place to eat out.

As for restricted diets, well,  I have been there/done that so many times....but it does get better.

if you are 12 years into a gluten-free diet and still do not feel well, you should seek out a good GI doctor and find out why. You may have something other than celiac going on. IMHO

You deserve better!

and the flack Gwyneth Paltrow gets is not because she has her kids on a gluten-free diet (because it probably helps them) but because she also admits "she lets them cheat"--OFTEN.

I want to say to her: Either you do this full- fledge for health reasons or you do not. Otherwise, you just seem foolish and you make those of us who need to be gluten-free to LIVE look equally crazy to others. .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hey, I really admire you for keeping your head in the game.  If you're on here posting about your experience that implies to me that you're fighting the good fight.  My diet isn't as restricted as yours so I can't totally relate.  I know it takes willpower to kick gluten to the curb so restricting other ingredients really shows you're disciplined.  Good for you!  Hang in there.  Can't be easy.

Diagnosis 11/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: