5 replies to this topic

#1 soyjoy318

soyjoy318

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

My sister (who is a hypochondriac) has now decided that she too has Celiac. She refuses to get tested, complains all the time about how she feels, and asks me about my symptoms.

I have had to stop talking to her, because she doesn't get it. She thinks Celiac is something fun??!! She thinks she will get special attention if she has it??!!

I told her all the scary stuff my doctors shared with me. I told her it wasn't a game. She has pulled this prank before - when my mother had breast cancer and when my baby sister was in a near fatal accident.

It's more annoying than anything else. She thinks it is a game. I would NEVER wish Celiac on anyone!!

So frustrated!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alesusy

alesusy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

My sister (who is a hypochondriac) has now decided that she too has Celiac. She refuses to get tested, complains all the time about how she feels, and asks me about my symptoms.

I have had to stop talking to her, because she doesn't get it. She thinks Celiac is something fun??!! She thinks she will get special attention if she has it??!!

I told her all the scary stuff my doctors shared with me. I told her it wasn't a game. She has pulled this prank before - when my mother had breast cancer and when my baby sister was in a near fatal accident.

It's more annoying than anything else. She thinks it is a game. I would NEVER wish Celiac on anyone!!

So frustrated!!!

tell her you won't talk to her again unless she get tested, and then really do it. It is a reasonable and strong lever point. She might really be celiac as well. On the other hand, there's no obligation to be nice to an annoying person just because she's a family member: steer clear...

#3 soyjoy318

soyjoy318

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

tell her you won't talk to her again unless she get tested, and then really do it. It is a reasonable and strong lever point. She might really be celiac as well. On the other hand, there's no obligation to be nice to an annoying person just because she's a family member: steer clear...

Thank you alesusy!! I like your advice!! I'll definitely speak to her about getting tested!!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Celiac is genetic so it is quite possible she also does have celiac. Many of us have been called hypochondriacs and told we just wanted to be sick. Share your knowledge of the disease or refer her here to answer her questions if you don't care to answer them. She should be tested and your being diagnosed is a reason to give her doctor to test her. Celiac can be hard to deal with, especially at first and it might not be a bad thing to have another family member to help others in the family understand.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

For most of my childhood and well into adulthood, I thought my Mom was a hypochondriac. She too thought she had whatever someone she knew was diagnosed with. Every day it seemed she had a different complaint. Headache one day, backache the next. Sick stomach the following day, dizzy the next.

I STILL haven't forgiven myself for thinking she was making it all up. When I found out she had had celiac all her life, and that when she went gluten-free she became a new person, I felt terrible. It was only after I had lost her that I got celiac, and now I feel even guiltier. When I get to Heaven, the very first thing I am going to do is apologize to Mom.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 soyjoy318

soyjoy318

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

My dad said he will get tested and I told my sister to get tested. Once she gets her results back, I will talk to her about it.

I do feel bad for not believing her, but she does have a track record for making things up. I hope she gets tested and then we will know the answer.

Thanks all for your comments!! Very helpful!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: