6 replies to this topic

#1 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hello! I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance a little under six months ago. We still are unsure if I have Celiac. I was wondering if you can still bake regular food as long as you don't eat it and wear gloves. I want to go to culinary school before I open a gluten free bakery, so I'm just trying to figure out my options. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

You will want to wear a respirator, too. You don't want to breathe the flour into you throat and swallow it if you have Celiac. It shouldn't matter in your lungs, but common sense says if its in your mouth or throat, some will be swallowed.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

You will want to wear a respirator, too. You don't want to breathe the flour into you throat and swallow it if you have Celiac. It shouldn't matter in your lungs, but common sense says if its in your mouth or throat, some will be swallowed.

That's a good point! I was thinking about seeing if they will accommodate me and let me use my own flour.

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

That's a good point! I was thinking about seeing if they will accommodate me and let me use my own flour.

Even better. Still, there will be flour flying from the guy next to you? During baking, I mean. Using a quarter cup of flour for a gravy shouldn't send it flying and you could use your rice flour or whatever for your gravy.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Just be careful if you are working around others who are using wheat flour; if they dump in their flour a little forcefully then POOF - There's a flour cloud for you to ingest. I'd wear a face mask if you are working around it at all.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 julissa

julissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

after going gluten free and feeling great, my first glutening came when I was baking cookies with my granddaughter. I would take every precaution if you are going to be in the same room as the chefs using regular flour.

#7 Girl From Indy

Girl From Indy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have tried everything, and it never ends well. Gloves, mask, taking a shower the second I'm done. It all resulted in me getting glutenized. I didn't try a repirator, but a cone mask didn't help at all.

If you have to work with it, then cover as much of you as you can.

Diagnosed Celiac stage 4 through biopsy, May 2011.
Gluten Free since April 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: