4 replies to this topic

#1 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

In addition to gluten, I can no longer eat corn, peanuts, sesame, watermelon, cantelope, and can only eat organic fruits. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

In addition to gluten, I can no longer eat corn, peanuts, sesame, watermelon, cantelope, and can only eat organic fruits. Any advice?

Focus on what you can eat, rather than what you can't eat. I have diagnosed reactions/allergies/intolerances (whatever you want to call IgA or IgG antibody mediated reactions) to gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. That pretty much eliminates most processed, ready to eat foods, and makes restaurant dining challenging. However, I found great allergy free cookbooks, which showed me how to substitute my allergen 'ingredients' in most recipes. I also tried many new foods which didn't contain my allergens. I found new 'favorite foods', which didn't cause the painful reactions which my old (allergen filled) favorite foods caused.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

No problem: INstead of corn have a starchy food like potato, or have sweet potato, or substitute bread.
Peanuts: Try Brazil, hazlenut, walnut, pecan, or almond. You can find nut butters made from these too.
Watermelon cantelope: Peach, strawberry, blueberry, apple, plum, pear or other. Organic is expensive, so split fruits with your family and have bites rather than entire fruits.

For every food I ruled out, I added a couple I didn't usually eat, so I think my total number of foods has increased instead of decreased.

Over time, I think you can do this. Lots of foods were created for you.

Diana

Diana

#4 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

No problem: INstead of corn have a starchy food like potato, or have sweet potato, or substitute bread.
Peanuts: Try Brazil, hazlenut, walnut, pecan, or almond. You can find nut butters made from these too.
Watermelon cantelope: Peach, strawberry, blueberry, apple, plum, pear or other. Organic is expensive, so split fruits with your family and have bites rather than entire fruits.

For every food I ruled out, I added a couple I didn't usually eat, so I think my total number of foods has increased instead of decreased.

Over time, I think you can do this. Lots of foods were created for you.

Diana

Diana

Thanks!

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

If you like popcorn, you can try popping sorghum. I've not seen it in the store but I got it online. It's like dollhouse popcorn.

The corn will be the hardest to avoid I think since it is used in sooo many products now. Many plastics are made of it and they are using it to line cans.

The peanuts can be tricky because so many things can be cross contaminated. Like other nuts and candies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: