126 replies to this topic

#91 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

so I had my GP appointment, and I was very happy with how it went!  I typed up my happenings with the GI and gave my GP all my results.  He was very appreciative to have everything typed up.  I owned my weight gain, and brought it up so he didn't have to do that.  Crushed that elephant in the room :) 

He said my thyroid numbers looked fine and took the time to explain why TSH is accurate, although I was laughing inside from all the comments on here since I know it is not the most accurate :lol:  I couldn't get him to agree to the TPO test since my TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 were all normal in the lab ranges.  He advised against supplementing Vitamin K and encouraged me to try and eat even more vitamin K rich foods.  He is hopeful that in time it will rise.

It was clear he wasn't up to date on all the celiac lingo, but I took my labs that showed the three positive DGP IgG levels and explained that despite a negative biopsy with the possibility the damage could have been missed since it explored the duodenum and not the jejunum, I am to avoid all gluten.  He told me to continue gluten-free since it has helped my constipation and bloating so much.  

He was concerned that despite supplementing with 3000iu of Vitamin D a day, I still showed a deficiency.  I was given a prescription for 50000iu once a week, and I will get retested again in a month.  I'm so happy he agreed to that one!  I also got blood drawn for a complete cholesterol panel, and while I was at it got my TDAP vaccine.  I'd say that was a productive appointment!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

so I had my GP appointment, and I was very happy with how it went!  I typed up my happenings with the GI and gave my GP all my results.  He was very appreciative to have everything typed up.  I owned my weight gain, and brought it up so he didn't have to do that.  Crushed that elephant in the room :)

He was concerned that despite supplementing with 3000iu of Vitamin D a day, I still showed a deficiency.  I was given a prescription for 50000iu once a week, and I will get retested again in a month.  I'm so happy he agreed to that one!  I also got blood drawn for a complete cholesterol panel, and while I was at it got my TDAP vaccine.  I'd say that was a productive appointment!

the D that you get by script    ....is D2; you should ha e D3;  good luck.

#93 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

thanks, frieze  :)

I asked him about D2 and D3 since I've read D3 is better, but he said since I was taking 3000 ius of D3 a day he was going to prescribe D2 to see if it made a difference.  can 50000iu of D ever come in the form of D3 script or is that the shot of Vit. D?  

the D that you get by script    ....is D2; you should ha e D3;  good luck.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#94 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

thanks, frieze  :)

I asked him about D2 and D3 since I've read D3 is better, but he said since I was taking 3000 ius of D3 a day he was going to prescribe D2 to see if it made a difference.  can 50000iu of D ever come in the form of D3 script or is that the shot of Vit. D?  

just take se eral of the lesser dose.  You would be able to get D3 50K uits   ha e to search...though.

#95 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

thanks for the info!  I am going to try the D2 since it's what he prescribed, and am hopeful it will make a change, but if not, I'll discuss with him about going back to D3 in a much higher dose.  I have been going outside more, but it's a toss up...go outside without sunblock to get Vit. D for 20 min. and develop skin cancer or have low Vit. D and be susecptible to developing other types of cancer :unsure:   I'm pretty fair skin (Irish/English/German) so I've always burned over getting tan.  My brother and sister tan...go figure :lol:

I forgot how sore the TDAP vaccine makes your arm! 

just take se eral of the lesser dose.  You would be able to get D3 50K uits   ha e to search...though.

#96 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I got my cholesterol numbers back and am very happy with my results!  This is the first time I've gotten blood drawn and sent to a lab, which I've read is a bit more accurate than finger prick tests, although they are absolutely a great thing for screening.

Here are my results:

Labcorp Lipid Panel:       My results       Ref. Ranges

Cholesterol, Total            155 mg/dL      100-199

Triglycerides                      49 mg/dL      0-149

HDL Cholesterol                63 mg/dL       >39

VLDL Cholesterol Cal        10 mg/dL       5-40

LDL Cholesterol Calc         82 mg/dL       0-99

That's the best my HDL has ever been.  I'll take it  :)

Total  Cholesterol     HDL     TC/HDL     LDL     Total Triglycerides  

October 2010 (Fasting)            171                     52          3.3           96        116

April 2012 (Non-fasting)           153                    60           2.5          -           -

April 2013 (Fasting)                  135                   52            2.6        N/A meant LDL under 100    N/A meant triglycerides less than 45

#97 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I got my cholesterol numbers back and am very happy with my results!  This is the first time I've gotten blood drawn and sent to a lab, which I've read is a bit more accurate than finger prick tests, although they are absolutely a great thing for screening.

Here are my results:

Labcorp Lipid Panel:       My results       Ref. Ranges

Cholesterol, Total            155 mg/dL      100-199

Triglycerides                      49 mg/dL      0-149

HDL Cholesterol                63 mg/dL       >39

VLDL Cholesterol Cal        10 mg/dL       5-40

LDL Cholesterol Calc         82 mg/dL       0-99

That's the best my HDL has ever been.  I'll take it  :)

Those are pretty :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#98 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

thank you  :)  although I know it is important to maintain a healthy weight and I'm working on getting mine back down, I am further convinced that weight doesn't show the whole picture.  I'm sure my GP was surprised when he saw these!

Those are pretty :)

#99 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

thank you  :)  although I know it is important to maintain a healthy weight and I'm working on getting mine back down, I am further convinced that weight doesn't show the whole picture.  I'm sure my GP was surprised when he saw these!

You are correct...weight doesn't show the whole picture...I dropped about 45 pounds over the past 4 years...most came off the first year and a half gluten-free -- the last ten has come off slowly -- but here is the thing -- during this last ten I look like I lost much more than the larger weight loss as I no longer am swollen everywhere.  Inflammation is a nasty business and the tests that were run on me never indicated how much inflammation was in every portion of my body. 

Your body is healing -- the numbers are proving it -- keep eating well and moving and the weight or "heaviness" will improve.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#100 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Nice!  It's almost a weird feeling... becoming healthy, isn't it.  LOL ;)  Your hard work is shining through.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#101 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

I just posted about getting glutened this week in the coping forum, so those effects are wearing off, but right after I made that post I checked my e-mail and my latest Vitamin D results were available.  I've been taking my 50000 ius of Vitamin D once a week for a little over a month, and my result climbed from 28.3 to 40.7  wooooohoooo!!  I'll take it  :)

http://www.celiac.co...tening-round-2/

#102 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

came back to update since I like keeping everything in one place :)   Even though the GI saw wouldn't officially diagnose me with celiac since I had a negative biopsy, I have been getting follow-up blood tests.  So far I had two done back in January 2013 where my DGP IgG was a 43/41 with anything over 30 being a strong positive and another in June 2013 where I was at a 33. I was told to get the next one taken 4-6 months after that, so I got blood taken this week to have the celiac panel, Vit D and Vit K run again. I got a voicemail from the GI office this morning that said my results were in and are stable.  I get results electronically through LabCorp 48 hours after they've been reported to my doctor, so I will get to see if their version of stable and mine are the same thing :P

#103 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

fair warning: long post ahead...

so I reread through this entire thread and realized two things...I've come so far from this past January with the help of others on this site, and I use way too many smiley faces in my posts  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:

latest results are Vitamin D fell two point to 38.4, but two things I know I need to do are take my supplements more regularly, and I'm going to increase my intake to 4000 iu a day during the winter.  

I do not have a result for my Vitamin K level because after receiving my results electronically it said the following: "LabCorp was unable to obtain a suitable specimen for the following test (s) and is providing the the patient with recollection instructions."  I remember the last time I had Vitamin K run the lab technician said for accuracy the specimen had to be protected from light.  The lady on the phone I spoke with said this time the specimen was not protected from light which is why it couldn't be tested, so I am going to get that one redrawn tomorrow.

Now for the results I was really interested in receiving, but first, a recap...I am a normal IgA producer.  My total IgA being 252mg/dL in a range of 91-414.  All my IgA results were negative as was the ttg IgG, and although my DGP IgG still isn't in the negative range, I am finally in the weak positive range!!  I had a DGP IgG result of 24 which fell in LabCorp's weak positive range of 20-30.  Was I a little upset that it wasn't in the negative range?  Yes.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't since I believe I've only been glutened twice since starting the GFD, and I still hardly ever eat out in restaurants, am extremely vigilant about cross contamination and have checked all my personal care products and meds/supplements for gluten.  I keep thinking maybe I should switch back to a completely whole foods diet, but I am hesitant because I don't want to overly restrict myself with food because that led to eating too much in the past and making poor choices, which now I am certain were all linked to gluten anyway!  I always thought my GI problems outweighed my neurological problems, but I am so upbeat and happy now!  I don't feel the urge to eat all the time, and dare I say it...for the first time in my life I prefer salty to sweet food.  I've ALWAYS loved sweets, and I still enjoy them, but I don't eat near as much.  I feel like I'm finally beginning to have a normal relationship with food.  Only took 27 years, but better late than never!!  

I feel a million times better than I did in March!!!!!!  I don't have brain fog anymore.  It's weird to describe, but I no longer feel like someone is pushing down on my brain.  Instead when I wake up in the morning my head feels open, clear and wonderful!  About a month ago I just stopped one day, and thought, I feel so happy.  The GI symptoms were always my biggest complaints, and although I've written in the thread about taking depression meds for a short time and having anxiety, I didn't realize how much gluten really made me feel low.  The GI symptoms have gotten significantly better.  I was doing really well with constipation, but then when I started to add in pure dairy products I got stopped up, and when I eliminated them, things didn't magically return to my new normal.  I no longer take any fiber supplements, and I usually go once a day but every so often I'll miss a day.  I started taking magnesium in the evenings, and that helps a lot.  I only seem to get bloated if I eat too many carbs, and this one makes me really happy, right before that time of the month which used to be the only time I was ever bloated and constipated.  It's no longer 24/7.  I've been walking and doing yoga and have lost about 9 pounds so far, so I'm finally headed in the right direction.  

I'm more outgoing, and I participate in social events because I am stronger than I was 9 months ago and feel more confident standing up for myself and my health.  The only problem that lingers is something I've posted about in other threads...my parents.  Sometimes I think they get it then bam I get thrown a curve ball!  I drove to visit them this weekend, and my Mom tells me about her colleague that has gone gluten free with her son.  My Mom said the colleague's son was not formally tested for celiac disease, but instead the doctor said try gluten-free and see if it helps.  That was my first red flag  :o  How many times have we read on this site that people's doctors say to go off gluten without being tested?  Then the individuals, and rightfully so, get so upset when they are told they have to do a gluten challenge to get a proper diagnosis because their doctor did not follow proper procedures.  My Mom didn't like it when I told her that the doctor should have tested her colleague's son because now a gluten challenge would have to be performed to see if her son had celiac.  Then my Mom said she went out to eat with this lady, and my Mom asked her if she brought her own food, and she said no and that she can always find something to eat off the menu and didn't even ask the server about the preparation methods  :wacko:  So my Mom automatically thinks since this lady can do it, why can't my daughter?  To which I replied, "Mom, she nor her son were properly tested, so maybe that's how she chooses to follow her diet, but I can't nor do I want to take that chance."  I also told her that down the line I'm the one that will be paying for my medical bills if I would choose to live irresponsibly and ingest gluten.  I'm the one that will literally be paying for it both physically and financially.  After that exchange, I finally decided enough is enough, and I spent money that I really don't have to order the Enterolab gene test.   I know the gene sensitivity portion of the test is not reliable, but at least it will tell me if I carry DQ2 or DQ8.

I think one of the most upsetting topics I read about on this forum is infertility.  I can't even begin to imagine other women's pain that weren't able to get pregnant only to realize down the line that they had celiac disease, and if they only had been diagnosed and gluten free sooner, they could have had their own children.  Maybe if I give my Mom information on celiac and infertility that would make her realize that for me being gluten free is necessary if she'd ever like to entertain the idea of having any grandchildren from me.  After coming off the pill, you're supposed to get your period within three months, and by month five and still without a period, I was getting worried, so I called my ob/gyn and got a pill to induce one, and it's taken awhile, but I'm finally regular!  I remember after that five months, I had never been so excited to have cramps in my life!  

Excluding the exchanges with my parents, I am truly happy for the first time in a long time!  I feel confident and ready to take on life.  If I feel this wonderful now, I can only imagine how much stronger I will become as my DGP IgG level decreases even more!    

To all the forum members: thank you for listening, and I will always be grateful for all the support and suggestions others have given me on this forum.  Thanks for giving me someplace to go whenever my friends and family just don't get it.  

I will post my Vit. K result when I get it redrawn.  My New Year's resolutions are to eat more of a whole foods diet and take my supplements daily.  

Wishing all of my Celiac.com family a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!

#104 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

that is fabulous!  (except about your mom, but stick to your guns lolz)  i was miserable when my husband found this site for me.  thank goodness, because i understood NOTHING about this disease.  it's sort of a "HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR NEW BODY"  ^_^

that "why don't you try going gluten free and see how you feel"  is probably my biggest gripe about doctors!!!!!!!!!!  hey, doc, why not run the damb test THEN try the gluten free.  DUH.  and i sit next to a guy in my club, he is celiac, eating at the buffet and scraping the gravy off his meat.............  he shows me the palms of his hands, they are dh from hell!  let 'em suffer, i guess.  not me.  and, not you:)  good for us :)  and i don't think you use too many smilies ^_^ :P ;) :lol:

merry Christmas & happy new year, popt!!! :lol: :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#105 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Okay, I tried to read the whole thread but admit skimming.

Did you ever get a thorough thyroid panel? Because the only free t3 I saw was below the mid-mark, which can indicate you do have a thyroid issue (I don't give a flying flip what your doctor said). Part of that can be cause/effect of d3. Complicated. But did you ever get antibodies and free t3/freet4 run together?

I'm glad you're feeling so much better!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: