Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Out With The Grass - In With The Heirloom Garden :)

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

We live in sunny southern california -- basically a desert with no water of our own -- the past three years we have grass in the back yard from around October until June -- as we no longer water the lawn.

Last year I was planning an Heirloom Seed Garden when I became ill - so now that I'm up and at it once again it is time to get on with my garden :)

I'm thrilled - one son excited to help - one son and one hubby not so excited, but willing....first step is tear out the sod and ammend our soil.

Haven't had a real veggie garden in over 25 years -- all advice welcome -- thanks!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

When we built our new house, not a single grass seed was sown, nor piece of sod laid. After mowing an acre for 20 years hubs had had enough. So there are garden beds, pathways, shrub areas and trees and fruit trees, some with ground cover, some with bark, and my vegetable plot is in raised beds for better weed control and because I don't bend too well :) I love raised beds :wub: First we had them in Sonoma, triple dug down with chicken netting laid on the bottom and nailed to the borders to keep out the gophers and moles. Now our raised beds have a wide border around them suitable for sitting on - the lazy gardeners way of gardening. Perfect for pulling weeds and thinning rows. And they are also great for keeping snails out :D And if the snails do find them, you don't have to put bait in your beds, just around them (well, you do have to pick out the ones in the middle.)

I know they are not for everyone and maybe you are planning a more extensive area -- them's just my thoughts and reasons.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Great minds...hubby already suggested and volunteered to build raised beds as he has lived with me -- both when I can bend and more importantly when I cannnot :)

Son's project in environmental science was a really cool pyramid type herbal garden table -- he has volunteered to build a three sided one for me too.

Still considering what is best to put on the path between beds -- well no real idea yet...leaving one three foot wide strip of grass for the dog -- in a shade spot that stays green nearly year round without help. Of course she will probably like my new pathways better -- I've never zapped her, but may consider it if she does business between my beds ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have a very finely crushed gravel (gray and white mix) on my pathways and it looks good. You could do decomposed granite.... I like something that provides for natural drainage and your dog may not like to 'do business' on gravel :) Will your man come and build me a herb table pyramid?

One thing I found - fragile skin, sharp corners, and clumsiness do not combine, so I have rubber baby buggy bumper strips on my corners :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

great idea -- bumpers added -- gravel sounds like a good plan too

Thanks!!!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#6 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Love the idea(s)! When I can drop two large pines from the yard... YES, my plan as well.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: