8 replies to this topic

#1 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I've been gluten free for 11 weeks so far. One of the foods I have been eating since going gluten free is Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese. No GMO's no soy. I have it once a week for lunch -- except last week I did not have it.

Today I got queasy after eating, and 2 hours later the muscle weakness started to set in, along with the fatigue. My worst reactions to gluten and soy.

The box says made in a facility that processes wheat and soy.

Am I becoming more sensitive? Do people normally become more sensitive as they go along, instead of less sensitive?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

I steadily became more and more sensitive as I went along. So did my son. My husband did not. We all differ.

In the end you will feel so much better that it will all be worth it. I was amazed at all the issues that went away.

#3 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I steadily became more and more sensitive as I went along. So did my son. My husband did not. We all differ.

In the end you will feel so much better that it will all be worth it. I was amazed at all the issues that went away.

Is it normal that I would now be sensitive to things made in the "same facility" -- when I wasn't in the beginning?

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Sensitivity can increase as time goes by, so yes, entirely possible, normal.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sensitivity can increase as time goes by, so yes, entirely possible, normal.

Sigh.

Thanks. :)

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

At first I felt 100% better just eliminating bread and cereal. Then I had to learn how to read labels carefully. Then I had to go for certified gluten free only. Then I went for dedicated facilities and tested to under 5 ppm. Then I went to mainly unprocessed foods. Now I am mainly unprocessed and grow as much of my own as possible.

It doesn't do that far with very many people though. I am sensitive to very low levels.

I still say that it is worth it. Going from hardly being able to get out of bed to having run a mini triathlon is pretty wonderful.

#7 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

At first I felt 100% better just eliminating bread and cereal. Then I had to learn how to read labels carefully. Then I had to go for certified gluten free only. Then I went for dedicated facilities and tested to under 5 ppm. Then I went to mainly unprocessed foods. Now I am mainly unprocessed and grow as much of my own as possible.

It doesn't do that far with very many people though. I am sensitive to very low levels.

I still say that it is worth it. Going from hardly being able to get out of bed to having run a mini triathlon is pretty wonderful.

Thanks. I was hoping I would not be that sensitive, but I think I'm going to have to accept it.

#8 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Yes, you can become more sensitive.

But in addition to that, you may have eaten "clean" batches of that product before and then got a contaminated one.

To me, "made in the same facility" is like gambling — you never know what you'll get. The "gluten-free" product might have been cross-contaminated one day when someone didn't clean the equipment as well, but it may be perfectly fine on another day.

So I see it as a risk I no longer take, because it only takes one crumb and I'm down.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

But in addition to that, you may have eaten "clean" batches of that product before and then got a contaminated one.

To me, "made in the same facility" is like gambling — you never know what you'll get.

So true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: