Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Question For Those Of You Who Are Lactose Intolerant.

lactose intolerance

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Is anyone here intolerant to ONLY milk? I went off dairy entirely when I went gluten free, then slowly reintroduced it. Yogurt, cheeses, that kind of thing do fine with me, but I put milk back in the mix this week and things have come back. Is it possible to be intolerant to just milk?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

If you do a little research, you will find that it appears that things like cheeses and yogurts don't have as much lactose. If you want to drink milk, perhaps you could take a Lactaid?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001321/

Milk products may be easier to digest include:

• Buttermilk and cheeses (have less lactose than milk)

• Fermented milk products, such as yogurt

• Goat's milk

• Ice cream, milkshakes, and aged or hard cheeses

• Lactose-free milk and milk products

• Lactase-treated cow's milk for older children and adults

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Is anyone here intolerant to ONLY milk? I went off dairy entirely when I went gluten free, then slowly reintroduced it. Yogurt, cheeses, that kind of thing do fine with me, but I put milk back in the mix this week and things have come back. Is it possible to be intolerant to just milk?

Absolutely, Josh! I do fine with yoghurt and cheeses also....except gooey melted cheese on something. That gets me, like milk and ice cream do. Yoghurt and cheese making add enzymes to the mix to help produce the end product and these enzymes help to partially break down the lactose. As for the gooey melted cheese, I think that just mucks up my system because it's so.......well, I don't know the right word but I stay away from that and big hits of dairy and I am fine.
No milk, ice cream or puddings but I can live with that. I love yoghurt and cheese so am grateful I can eat those.

#4 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well, at least it's not just me! I think I'll try some Lactaid and see how it works. It's nice getting back to normal though... 2 years gluten free really worked :)

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well, at least it's not just me! I think I'll try some Lactaid and see how it works. It's nice getting back to normal though... 2 years gluten free really worked :)

Glad you are feeling better! It gets even better the longer you are gluten-free! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lactose intolerance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: