Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac With A Fever Part Of Autoimmune Response?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have been tested for many autoimmune diseases, the only positive one thus far and I hope and pray it stays that way, is celiac. When I am CCed, I will run a fever for several days. I also have elevated liver enzymes. Does anyone else run a low grade fever as part of the autoimmune response with celiac? My doctor told me to take Tylenol but I don't want to be popping tons of tylenol with elevated liver enzymes?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Running a low-grade fever, in and of itself, is not harmful. It is the body's way of dealing with a problem :) and probably does not require medicating unless it gets out of hand.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Interesting...my oldest son responds to gluten with a fever (amongst other symptoms). It's been suggested by his Naturalpath, that his liver becomes overloaded with toxins (due to the gluten/gluten response) and this results in congested liver and fever. The fever used to last 5 days, with extreme fatigue ( wouldn't/couldn't walk for 3 - even with Tylenol and Motrin tag team) but we've been able to reduce that. Thank goodness.

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

The thing that is bugging me is that my gastro didn't know if celiac could cause a fever and told me to see an internal med. doctor. I saw one and she sent me to him. I feel like I can't get answers as to why I get these low grade fevers.

#5 Denine

Denine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I have been tested for many autoimmune diseases, the only positive one thus far and I hope and pray it stays that way, is celiac. When I am CCed, I will run a fever for several days. I also have elevated liver enzymes. Does anyone else run a low grade fever as part of the autoimmune response with celiac? My doctor told me to take Tylenol but I don't want to be popping tons of tylenol with elevated liver enzymes?

My daughter was just diagnosed this week. She has been running a low-grade temp on and off for several weeks, along with the abdominal pain. She went gluten-free on Monday.

#6 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have long been "used to" having low-grade fevers seemingly at random. I now strongly suspect they were related to the celiac. For all I know was something else, but that strikes me as occam's razor.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

During the six months I was 'sick' I ran a low-grade fever almost constantly. I
think it's just another one of the strange symptoms we get!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

For me it was. I knew what my normal temp usually ranged, so i kept an eye on it. It went away after i went gluten free.

#9 Jen_1984

Jen_1984

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I (when I first became sick) had a low grade fever that would spike about an hour to two hours after eating. I would feel flush like and I would get terrible stomach pains and heart burn. I also could not sleep whatsoever. Then one night, my husband took me out to eat and I ate felafel. I know now has tons of gluten derived ingredients and had horrific stomach pains the whole night, running a low grade fever and so I finally took myself to the hospital where I was found to have panceatitis. It was mild but was painful. I think it may have something to do with celiac effecting an organ in the body. I have also been tested for lupus, RA and other autoimunes and nothing ever came out positive but celiac ever. Its crazy the symptoms besides the pancreatitis that I have had. Namely neurological, seizure like episodes, floaters in the vision, photophobia. Its been a crazy ride!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: