6 replies to this topic

#1 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have now tried twice to make dough from gluten-free flour. Both times it has ended up in disaster, being miserably sticky. I have put extra flour on the outside. I tried rolling with the dough between wax paper. I have ended up completely frustrated and about in tears both times. Any tips?

Hi, I'm Melissa

Mostly gluten-free 5/12 in an attempt to help migraines

Surprise! All my GI symptoms resolved (that I was blaming on not having a gallbladder)

EGD 1/13; biopsies showed inflammation suggestive of partially treated celiac

Bloodwork negative (of course, I was gluten-free)

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

What was the dough for? If you are trying to roll it out like pizza dough - put a layer of plastic wrap on the counter or another pizza pan. then put another piece on top of the dough and roll out. You can peel the plastic wrap off the top and flip it onto the pizza pan then remove the bottom pan or cookie sheet & pull the bottom plastic off.

gluten-free dough is sticky

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

What were we trying to make here, and what was the ingredients ? Got a link to the recipe ?

If you are making a pizza dough, I highly recommend the Chebe, a tapioca based mix to which one adds egg and grated cheese, oil, and just a bit of water, which can be actually handled somewhat like a real "dough" if you oil your hands first and oil the pizza pan, then sprinkle a bit of gluten free flour (such as corn meal or amaranth) on the oiled pan.

If it is pie dough, it sounds like there was too much water compared to the necessary fat in the dough, and that it needed to have a little fat (such as oil) and more flour added to it, mixed real well, then refrigerated, and be chilled, before you attempted to play with it. Don't roll it between the wax paper until you get to where you can touch it with your hands and it doesn't stick. Gluten free pie doughs are a ##### <_< :angry: sometimes. Each type of gluten free flour has different characteristics, and many times recipe substitutions will behave differently. :rolleyes: I made a recipe last year out of what was supposed to be a foolproof recipe out of ingredients I had, and it still came out "meh." Turns out you must purchase the custom "special" single ingredient brand of flour, which was not specified. <_<

If it was bread dough - typically that is wet & sticky, unless, again, you're using a Chebe or a modified Chebe based mix.

#4 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

It was pizza dough, but from a Bob's Red Mill mix. I'll order the Chebe to try next time.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi, I'm Melissa

Surprise! All my GI symptoms resolved (that I was blaming on not having a gallbladder)

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

It was pizza dough, but from a Bob's Red Mill mix. I'll order the Chebe to try next time.

Thanks for the tips!

Chebe is still sticky. I do the plastic wrap trick with it too.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 mamamonkey

mamamonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I am happy to report that round 3 vs. gluten-free dough I WON! I have cinnamon rolls ready to go into the oven. The triick this time seemed to be parchment paper (I had used wax last night). Or, it could have been the recipe (I used the Pamela's flour blend and the recipe on the back of the bag). Either way, they are resting on a well greased sheet waiting to be baked. Hopefully they'll turn out tasty!

Hi, I'm Melissa

GI dx'd celiac 1/13

#7 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Parchment paper is far easier to work with than plastic wrap. I have a few killer pizza dough recipes that you roll out (i.e. not sticky) if you are interested. One of the things I missed most with baking was rolling out dough rather than plop it or pour it into a pan. I'm a scratch baker but am curious to see how the Pamela's blend worked out. What is in the blend?

Good luck on the cinnamon rolls!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: