Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help With Dough

7 posts in this topic

I have now tried twice to make dough from gluten-free flour. Both times it has ended up in disaster, being miserably sticky. I have put extra flour on the outside. I tried rolling with the dough between wax paper. I have ended up completely frustrated and about in tears both times. Any tips?

Ads by Google:

What was the dough for? If you are trying to roll it out like pizza dough - put a layer of plastic wrap on the counter or another pizza pan. then put another piece on top of the dough and roll out. You can peel the plastic wrap off the top and flip it onto the pizza pan then remove the bottom pan or cookie sheet & pull the bottom plastic off.

gluten-free dough is sticky

What were we trying to make here, and what was the ingredients ? Got a link to the recipe ?

If you are making a pizza dough, I highly recommend the Chebe, a tapioca based mix to which one adds egg and grated cheese, oil, and just a bit of water, which can be actually handled somewhat like a real "dough" if you oil your hands first and oil the pizza pan, then sprinkle a bit of gluten free flour (such as corn meal or amaranth) on the oiled pan.

If it is pie dough, it sounds like there was too much water compared to the necessary fat in the dough, and that it needed to have a little fat (such as oil) and more flour added to it, mixed real well, then refrigerated, and be chilled, before you attempted to play with it. Don't roll it between the wax paper until you get to where you can touch it with your hands and it doesn't stick. Gluten free pie doughs are a ##### <_<:angry: sometimes. Each type of gluten free flour has different characteristics, and many times recipe substitutions will behave differently. :rolleyes: I made a recipe last year out of what was supposed to be a foolproof recipe out of ingredients I had, and it still came out "meh." Turns out you must purchase the custom "special" single ingredient brand of flour, which was not specified. <_<

If it was bread dough - typically that is wet & sticky, unless, again, you're using a Chebe or a modified Chebe based mix.

It was pizza dough, but from a Bob's Red Mill mix. I'll order the Chebe to try next time.

Thanks for the tips!

It was pizza dough, but from a Bob's Red Mill mix. I'll order the Chebe to try next time.

Thanks for the tips!

Chebe is still sticky. I do the plastic wrap trick with it too.

I am happy to report that round 3 vs. gluten-free dough I WON! I have cinnamon rolls ready to go into the oven. The triick this time seemed to be parchment paper (I had used wax last night). Or, it could have been the recipe (I used the Pamela's flour blend and the recipe on the back of the bag). Either way, they are resting on a well greased sheet waiting to be baked. Hopefully they'll turn out tasty!

Parchment paper is far easier to work with than plastic wrap. I have a few killer pizza dough recipes that you roll out (i.e. not sticky) if you are interested. One of the things I missed most with baking was rolling out dough rather than plop it or pour it into a pan. I'm a scratch baker but am curious to see how the Pamela's blend worked out. What is in the blend?

Good luck on the cinnamon rolls!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Annual celiac antibody testing is, in my opinion (and based on what celiac researchers have published), is critical, especially for a 12 year old.  Life is going to get harder for her.  Peer pressure is huge (I have a 15 year old daughter), and remaining diet compliant can be tough.   In Dr. Fasano's, Gluten Freedom, he discusses a young patient who became ill in high school after being gluten free for years.  His parents were perplexed.  Dr. Fasano took the young man aside and he confessed that while on a date, he didn't want to bring up his celiac disease.  So, he ate pizza.  He was too embarrassed to tell his parents.   My daughter does not have celiac disease.  She was first tested two years ago.  Since she is symptom free, is not anemic and her other lab work is fine, we'll wait to test her in another year.  It all depends on the patient, but every few years, testing is recommended for all undiagnosed first-degree relatives.   It certainly sounds like your younger children should be screened.   I wish you both well!      
    • Perhaps you should consider asking for a GI referral.  You might just skip the blood tests and go directly to an endoscopy/biopsies while you are still consuming gluten.  It is the "gold" standard for a celiac diagnosis anyway!   Here's the deal with going gluten free.  You can do it.  It costs nothing, but you must give it six months or longer.  You'd need to think like a celiac, but it can be done!  I'll tell you my tale.  My hubby went gluten-free 15 years ago per the very poor advice of his GP/PCP and my allergist.  After a year of mistakes and learning, he got well.  It worked!  Thirteen years later, I was formally diagnosed.  (It was a shock as I was only anemic at the time.)  Hubby would be the first to say that I have had way more support from family, friends and medical.  I must say, it's nice to see those lab results.  It really helped me adhere to the diet in the beginning too.   So, you know your medical situation.  You must do what's best for you!   I hope you feel better soon!  
    • I'm sure going to have a long talk with my doctor.  Then I'll find a new one that will support me and make sure that my daughter and I both have the proper testing done yearly.  
    • also:  glutendude - i don't get it.  shouldn't it be glutenfreedude?  lolz i eat out few and far between.  most of the times i've been glutened it's been eating out.  this weekend i'm getting my bacon cheeseburger on at red robin  i always get my 'good' waitress - lucky, i guess, paula takes good care of me   and i will eat at bonefish but they have a limited 'safe' menu.  look for places that have the 'GiG'  training they know their stuff.  mellow mushroom, melting pot, california pizza kitchen, pf changs are all supposed to be trained that way.  they know to avoid cc and change their gloves, etc.  
    • I have Common variable immune deficiency (CVID) which has impaired my IgA and my IgG. I have infusions monthly for immunoglobulins. I had a blood test for celiac which showed negative however, I have nearly every celiac symptom. Everything else I have been tested for and believe me I have been tested. Kidneys, Gallbladder, emptying studies, and on and on have all been o.k.    I did go partially gluten free once a long while ago and I did feel better. I wonder if I just go gluten free if it would make a big difference. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jashan8534