3 replies to this topic

#1 yo!melee

yo!melee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Anyone else with celiac disease taking Budesonide (or Entocort)? Just started taking it and I'm itching like crazy similar to when I eat gluten. I checked the active and inactive ingredients but couldn't find any. Was curious if many other celiacs are using it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have no experience with it, but did you call the manufacturer before filling the prescription to verify that the pills are gluten free?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 UCglutenfree

UCglutenfree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Its not clear to me why you are taking Budesonide but it actually should reduce itchy skin. There could be something else.
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and Migraines in 2007.
Medications - Colazal, Imuran, Verapamil, Nabumetone
Supplements - Methylcobalamin, Vit D, Multivitamin, Mg-Citrate, Vit B2
Stumbled on the fact that I am possibly Gluten and casein/lactose intolerant.
Current food choices, Strictly vegetarian, no meat/chicken/fish/soy/milk/raw vegetables.
Trying to go gluten-free.

#4 jas322

jas322

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Anyone else with celiac disease taking Budesonide (or Entocort)? Just started taking it and I'm itching like crazy similar to when I eat gluten. I checked the active and inactive ingredients but couldn't find any. Was curious if many other celiacs are using it.

Yes, I have been on Entocort for about a year.  It's used for refractory celiac and completely changed my life.  It is a steroid that does not pass the liver and therefore doesn't give the nasty side effects of prednisone.  It comes in a coated gelatin capsule that is designed to break down in the colon for ulcerative colitis patients.  Since celiac affects the small intestine, my doctor has me open the gelatin capsule and swallow the little granules (I even crush one of the pills to be sure my duodenum gets some drug).  I have spoken to the company and the sales reps.  It is gluten free.  Hope it works as well for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: