This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance Post Partum, Now Concerned With Getting Pregnant

chexpaints

chexpaints Newbie

I'm 37, had 4 successful pregnancies and never had any food intolerances up until post partum of my 4th baby. After the 4th, my blood pressure climbed and stayed high, I had severe insomnia, migraines, panic attacks, irregular heart beats, increased heart rate, depression and anxiety. None of which I had ever had in my life (other than my blood pressure climbing moderately at the very end of each pregnancy). Within a month of the symptoms, I went gluten free (since gluten intolerance runs in my family) and was also tested to find out I was now off the charts sensitive for the gluten! I had post partum induced gluten intolerance. It took 2 years to get healthy again. I'm still gluten free and am also sensitive to many other foods other than whole foods such veggies, fruits and meats.

So now, we have thought about getting pregnant again, but I'm nervous about it. My OB/GYN is not fond of the idea because of my age and my severe post partum symptoms after the last baby. My Naturopathic Dr sees no problem and thinks the symptoms were only caused by onset of gluten intolerance.

Anyone have this experience with post partum induced symptoms? And if so did you have more babies after and how did your body take it now being gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jebby Enthusiast

I'm 37, had 4 successful pregnancies and never had any food intolerances up until post partum of my 4th baby. After the 4th, my blood pressure climbed and stayed high, I had severe insomnia, migraines, panic attacks, irregular heart beats, increased heart rate, depression and anxiety. None of which I had ever had in my life (other than my blood pressure climbing moderately at the very end of each pregnancy). Within a month of the symptoms, I went gluten free (since gluten intolerance runs in my family) and was also tested to find out I was now off the charts sensitive for the gluten! I had post partum induced gluten intolerance. It took 2 years to get healthy again. I'm still gluten free and am also sensitive to many other foods other than whole foods such veggies, fruits and meats.

So now, we have thought about getting pregnant again, but I'm nervous about it. My OB/GYN is not fond of the idea because of my age and my severe post partum symptoms after the last baby. My Naturopathic Dr sees no problem and thinks the symptoms were only caused by onset of gluten intolerance.

Anyone have this experience with post partum induced symptoms? And if so did you have more babies after and how did your body take it now being gluten free?

Hi,

I think that I had gluten sensitivity since childhood, but I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac Disease until I was postpartum with my 3rd child. My body went totally haywire and I was rather sick in the months leading up to diagnosis and going off of gluten. I miscarried a year later in 2011, and then got pregnant again and delivered a healthy, full term daughter in 2012 (about 24 months post-diagnosis). I was strictly gluten-free throughout the pregnancy, and outside of one "glutening" I felt healthy and strong. My postpartum experience was much better than with my third child! Outside of being sleep-deprived from nursing, I felt well and continue to feel well.

BTW, I have had a lot of friends and professional colleagues get pregnant and have babies in their late 30s and early 40s.

Whatever comes, I wish you the best!

J

chexpaints Newbie

Hi,

I think that I had gluten sensitivity since childhood, but I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac Disease until I was postpartum with my 3rd child. My body went totally haywire and I was rather sick in the months leading up to diagnosis and going off of gluten. I miscarried a year later in 2011, and then got pregnant again and delivered a healthy, full term daughter in 2012 (about 24 months post-diagnosis). I was strictly gluten-free throughout the pregnancy, and outside of one "glutening" I felt healthy and strong. My postpartum experience was much better than with my third child! Outside of being sleep-deprived from nursing, I felt well and continue to feel well.

BTW, I have had a lot of friends and professional colleagues get pregnant and have babies in their late 30s and early 40s.

Whatever comes, I wish you the best!

J

Awe, thanks! That does make me feel better. I want to believe that my post partum reactions were due to gluten intolerance onset. But this nagging feeling of what if it was a hormone imbalance keeps me hesitant. I sure don't want to be sick like that again! I was practically helpless with 3 kids and an infant.

jebby Enthusiast

Chex paints, One more thing...did you have your thyroid checked out? Gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease often go hand in hand with thyroid problems. Thyroid gland function can be accepted by pregnancy and being postpartum. I have had symptoms of overactive thyroid after delivering a baby.

chexpaints Newbie

Chex paints, One more thing...did you have your thyroid checked out? Gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease often go hand in hand with thyroid problems. Thyroid gland function can be accepted by pregnancy and being postpartum. I have had symptoms of overactive thyroid after delivering a baby.

Yes, I was thoroughly tested by two different doctors. Both said my thyroid is just fine.

• 2 months later...
wheatsucksbigd Newbie

Celiac runs in my family and I didn't have symptoms like yours till the second tri with my first baby. What I have found out is that along with the new wheat issue that even though my thyroid is fine that I had high levels of thyroid peroxidase antibodies. From what I can tell this is related to food intolerances and could be what compounded your symptoms. I think if you continue to avoid the trigger foods you should minimize most all of those problems.. in theory :). I would recommend doing a Google search for 'food allergies and autoimmune thyroid disease' for some further insight. May even recommend doing a blood test. I am researching places but read that metamatrix laboratories will do tests on IgGE (true allergies) and IgG4 (delayed allergies). We are planning on trying for our second child and since I am only 2 months into cutting out gluten I will be waiting. I think if you have a good grasp on your health that you are ahead of the game. I would recommend checking out raspberry leaf for warding off a miscarriage. And make sure your vitamins are gluten free.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Just to note, some sources say to avoid raspberry leaf tea for the first or first and second trimester if you have a history of miscarriage.

There seem to be some contradictions on the quick internet scan I did, so you would want to be sure of sound medical advice which you are happy using if you want to try it.

There are some contraindications for the third trimester, so you need to know if it suits your particular circumstances.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
Rowena Rising Star

I am gluten intolerant myself, and I went undiagnosed for a long time.  (Not for lack of trying either.)  Shortly after I got married, I got pregnant, but miscarried, and it gave me hell, and my gluten intolerance also got worse.  Until I was diagnosed a year and a half later, I didn't even have regular cycles.  Hell, I didn't even HAVE a cycle.  We thought I had actually gone infertile.   But then when I was diagnosed, I got my cycle back, and a year and a half later I was pregnant again.  (Though I didn't realize it because I thought I had just eaten gluten too close to when I should have gotten my period.  I missed TWO periods before I found out.)

So, it may be different for everyone, but I do think you shouldn't worry about the gluten.  It really is the age that is more the concern for you I would think.

Gluten on my pregnancy actually in the last few months didn't affect me so much, in fact I HAD to eat it despite knowing I really shouldn't because my baby seemed to be unsatisfied unless I did.  Though I did absolutely refuse to eat it most of my pregnancy because of my miscarry.  But I think the gluten didn't bother me as much because of the fact I didn't keep anything down anyway, and your stomach gets so squished by the end and you pee everything out so fast anyway that I don't think it had time to affect me.

• 1 month later...
chexpaints Newbie

Any others with this experience?  I'm very interested.  I'm just scared of being super sick should I get pregnant again...  So I'd love to hear other's experiences of those that had gluten intolerance onset postpartum and how it went with being gluten free on any subsequent pregnancies.

Archived