11 replies to this topic

#1 celiacsoprano

celiacsoprano

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Seeking some advice. Been constipated off and on for 2 months. First tried the usual, prunes, figs, gluten-free granola, prune juice, etc. Didn't help. Then I tried Citrucel... not a cure but at least I was going. Finally just wanted to be cleaned out and did an enema. But after that constipated again. I went to my doctor and he said Miralax. I swear it made it worse. Now not going at all for the past 4 days. My friend who is nurse suggested Ducolax stool softner. I took yesterday and nothing. What else should I do? I work out and eat gluten-free oatmeal everyday. I also eat fruit and salad for lunch. I don't eat a lot of cheese. This has never happened before. Any suggestions? I am contemplating another enema.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sorry you are having this issue as it can be very painful.
I have a few thoughts for you:

(1) have your thyroid checked. (hypothyroidism can cause the big C)
(2) take a mutli-strain probiotic.
(3) a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in 16 oz. of water 2X a day
(4) more water throughout the day
sometimes, it is lack of water, not a lack of fiber.

I am sure others will have more thoughts to offer.
Hope you get relief soon!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Exercise, oddly enough, helps a lot sometimes. Even if its just a bit more than you do normally. It helps "get things moving" if you will ;)

I would also stay away from anything that might make it worse. Do you drink milk? Eat a lot of starch? Those two can do it.

#4 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

If you're still looking for ideas to sift through, a combination of both Malva and Marshmallow root tea has been effective,
along with MSM in this house/family.

~Hope you find relief soon.

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#5 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

I use miralax daily with good results. Now that being said miralax can be a little tricky. It does not work overnight, it takes 2-3 days for it to start working. If I miss a dose I have to suffer through the 2-3 days again ! I found it works best if taken at night right before bed time with no food afterwards. Only water an plenty of it. You all so may have to adjust the dose, instructions say fill cap to white line. That does not quiet work for me. I use a rounded off cap full, may have to vary a little from instructions.
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Okay, I must say this is a topic I feel I am an expert in. Time to break out the big guns.

First, NO dairy, not even a bite of cheese, until you are regular again.
Second, there are many teas, some were suggested, to drink regularly, when you have it under control, as well as water etc.
Third, one stool softener a day may keep you regular.

Now to activity unclog, so to speak. There are levels to this. Laxatives, different than softeners, including miralax and dulcolax, can be effective if taken, but you may need to take the high end of the dose for it to work. You will know within 24 hours or so if it is working. Your doctor may suggest a higher dose than listed, this is common. Last but not least, and I have had to do this, is the stuff they tell you to get before a colonoscopy. There's one that's in a small bottle, doesn't have to be mixed, tastes ungodly but absolutely effective. Pharmacist can help find it.

Word of caution, laxatives can cause cramping and severe blow outs and in my opinion a last resort. Also, your bowels can become laxative dependent if taken regularly. That's where the more natural approach is better. Don't stop helping things things along until you know for sure you are regular again, then taper to where you are comfortable.

Medications can also cause constipation.

Get to know your bowels and what they are telling you, sounds sick huh?

Good luck to you and always consult your doctor when you need to. Dr Oz does not count.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi
A couple of things that can help generally:
Blueberries - a punnet a day for 2-3 days seems to help and not a hardship - yum.
Nuts - if you can tolerate them seem to help.
As mentioned - exercise, especially in the form of long walks.
And I drink hot water - not sure if this actually helps but it feels like it does!

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Another thought. I've heard that mineral oil is a good way to go if you've got C. Not sure if its gluten free or not.

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

You could also try cutting out the oats for a while. Some of us react to oats similarly to gluten.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I completely agree about Miralax! I took it for a week, and had a little relief, but just continued to feel more and more bloated, so I stopped. i have found the most effective combination for myself to be a highly absorbable magnesium supplement, the one i've used is called Super Magnesium and it's gluten free from GNC in addition to Citrucel caplets. I'm currently completing a sitz marker exam, so I stopped both for a few days, but I will continue with them once it's complete. It was definitely improving things, but yet another question came into my head about why I seemed to need so much magnesium when I eat a healthy diet that should be providing me with plenty of magnesium and fiber, and I drink plenty of water with very little caffeinated/sugary beverages!

the usual eat more fiber...drink more water lines just weren't cutting it and then browsing through the forums here someone suggested a magnesium supplement, so at first I started it in high doses and adjusted as necessary and added in the Citrucel since psyllium fiber constipated and bloated me. It's worth a try :)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#11 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

pumpkin seeds ( raw , unsalted pre- hulled ),, not kidding ,they are the only thing that has ever worked for me ( and I had tried most of the above mentioned remedys ) . Now I eat a small amount daily .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

pumpkin seeds ( raw , unsalted pre- hulled ),, not kidding ,they are the only thing that has ever worked for me ( and I had tried most of the above mentioned remedys ) . Now I eat a small amount daily .

I agree and I love those for added fiber, too. Great protein. I add those to our granola bars.

Also, to the OP--I had another thought:
I suggest being very careful of using too many OTC bowel cleanses as they can cause some problems, too and make your system reliant on them.

If you already take a calcium supplement, make sure you are taking the right ratio of magnesium. Mag will help with C as well.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: