Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Weak Positive Ttg...

7 posts in this topic

tTG 25 HI (20 - 30 units: weak positive)

GLIADIN AS IgA: 4 (<20 negative)

GLIADIN AB IgG: 11 (<20 negative

I am aware that there are reasons other than Celiac Disease for a positive tTG, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a child that was conclusively diagnosed when the only positive in the blood work was a weak positive tTG?

Sorry about the boring thread..... stresses out mum here *blush*

Ads by Google:

My 2 year old (1 1/2 at the time) had tTG level 5 and anything over 4 was positive. His doctor diagnosed him with Celiac after seeing his large amounts of weight gain & reaction to gluten since going on a gluten free diet.

chickpea, is your doctor planning to do any follow-up on this result? Like at least run the EMA and DGP. Or do an endoscopy with biopsy? In my book, any weak positive should not be dismissed out of hand. Oh, and did he run a total serum IgA?

yes, we've done repeat bloodwork, just waiting on the results (ttg iga, dgp iga and igg, ema, total iga). we are book in to see a pediatric gi for feb.19..... getting very nervous about receiving a negative biopsy result (that is if the gi even orders the scope).

i do have a question though, would the ttg iga be weak positive if he was iga deficient? and would his iga be 4? this is all so confusing.... the family dr seems to think it is celiac, even with the low results, since he lost 4 pounds in the two weeks we packed in as much gluten as possible... i feel like a crazy mother, obsessed over getting a definitive answer but knowing i probably won't :(

If his IgA were low and the tTG were weak positive it would be amazing, but that is one reason why it is checked. The weight loss is a telltale of celiac. You are not crazy at all -- you are doing what is right for your son. :)

If his IgA were low and the tTG were weak positive it would be amazing, but that is one reason why it is checked. The weight loss is a telltale of celiac. You are not crazy at all -- you are doing what is right for your son. :)

Ditto.

Weak positive should not be dismissed. My entire family -- me, kids, grands all have weak positive or negative -- yet are clearly Celiac based on endos from me, daughter and grandson.

Symptoms plus weak positive is very telling.

Hang in there :)

Thanks for your words of support.... did i mention that i love it here?!