arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

For Those With Constipated Kids-How Long To See Improvement?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snadaska

snadaska

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

DD is on day 8 of a gluten free diet. SO far I have seen a great improvement in her behavior. Far fewer tantrums and when she does have them they are of a lesser intensity than before. I have not seen a difference in her constipation however and am starting to wonder if gluten is our problem. Can anyone share how long it took your child's constipation to improve. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alicia534

alicia534

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

DS is 18 months and has been gluten free for 4 months now. He is still constipated. His GI said it wasn't the gluten causing it, but can't tell me what is. He takes 1 tsp of Miralax every morning and has a bm everyday. Lately he has been going 4-5 days with no bm, but his other symptoms have been coming back so I think he's getting cross contaminated at my mom's house. :(

#3 AGH2010

AGH2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Our GI, a celiac expert, said constipation takes the longest to go away on a gluten-free diet, up to 6 mos at least. It's been 5 mos for us and whenever I try to decrease my daughter's Miralax, her constipation returns. Our GI also said that her constipation could be unrelated to her celiac. Not very encouraging for us. But wanted you not to worry if you haven't seen any changes in that department after 8 days.

#4 snadaska

snadaska

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

thank you that helps a lot. 6 months is a long time. Did your doc say why it takes so long to improve? Did he give you a plan for how and when to reduce the miralax?

#5 Mary5757

Mary5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

My daughters constipation got better after 2 weeks but only with the removal of dairy. Seems like whenever I give her dairy she gets constipated. Not sure if she will ever be able to have dairy. Did you remove dairy? Or only gluten?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: