This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone With A Good Bread Recipe?

eleanorj

eleanorj Rookie

So far, we have tried 3 gluten-free breads: Udi's from the store, Gluten-Free Pantry bread mix and Pamela's bread mix. Pamela was just aweful (to our taste anyhow!), Gluten-Free Pantry taste is ok, but texture is very caky, Udi wins by FAR but is SOOOO expensive and there's 4 of us, so between lunches and breakfast, well, it's a lot of bread. How can I make a gluten-free bread from scratch that would be similar to Udi's in texture? I'm assuming the cakiness comes from all the eggs? I'm on a quest to bake a good bread, I don't mind mixing the flours myself, it's cheaper so really is my goal. The bread is by far the worse part of this diet for me, I'm ok with pasta but the bread :( Everyone else is fine with it and I'm the one that doesn't even need to be gluten-free.. sigh.. I will survive and ultimately bake a good loaf! LOL!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terryjwood Newbie

Your post reminded me of my quest, just one year ago, for a decent bread. I was sure such a thing existed after vacationing at Walt Disney World and trying their breads. But I couldn't find anything in my local grocery store that I could tolerate. That's when I decided to search the Internet for someone who had a good recipie. I found Jules Shepard's web site, Open Original Shared Link and her facebook page Open Original Shared Link

I've been baking a loaf of bread using her flour and recipie at home every week for the past year. There is NOTHING like home made bread, gluten free or otherwise. It makes the house smell GREAT! And nothing tastes like it either.

Since buying Jules' flour, I've even tried making my old favorites, such as banana bread. Her flour is pretty much a direct substitute for white wheat flour. The only difference I've found is that you never have to do a second "punch down". You can pretty much should ignore that in any recipie. And did I mention pancakes? Oh, having a good flour is great!

I know this sound corny, but even after a year I still marvel at this bread. It's so wondeful to have a good bread again. You don't know how much you miss something until it's gone. I feel lucky to have bread back in my life again!

eleanorj Rookie

I am looking for recipes where I would make my own flour mixes versus buying a gluten-free flour mix, those can get quite pricey. If I get desperate, I might give it a try, but I'd rather find good mixes to make myself instead of getting used to buying them mixed if that makes sense. Thanks.

mushroom Proficient

Here are some ideas to get you started:

Almond Flour Bread 2

A versatile recipe that can be used for bread, cakes or pizza.

Ingredients:

DRY INGREDIENTS

1 cup of brown rice flour

1 cup almond flour

¾ cup white rice flour

¼ cup tapioca flour

2 ½ teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons instant yeast

WET INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice

1 - 1 ¼ cups warm water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix dry ingredients in food processor. Add the wet ingredients. Process until it is thick like a cake mix. Add more water as needed. Pour into a loaf pan and let rise as high as ¾ of the pan. Place in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

Other Options:

For Cinnnamon raisin or Date Loaf - add ½ cup of soaked raisins - (5 min in boiling water) and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

For Pizza - spread the dough onto a cookie sheet using lots of olive oil to press it down. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Add toppings and cook another 10 minutes.

KALAMATA OLIVE AND ROSEMARY BREAD

(This bread has a lot of ingredients but is well worth the effort!)

1/2 cup amaranth flour (I use sorghum)

1/4 cup garbanzo flour (I use buckwheat)

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp white rice flour

5 Tbsp teff flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

1/4 cup arrowroot powder

2 Tbsp flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)

3 tsp xanthan gum

1 1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely minced

1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped roughly

2 tsp active dry yeast

1 tsp salt

2 whole eggs

2 eggs, whites separated from yolks

3/4 cup water, room temperature

5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 Tbsp honey

2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Optional: Coarse sea salt crystals for crust

Preheat the oven to 200°F.

Sift the flours, yeast and all other dry ingredients (except coarse sea salt) into a medium bowl. Stir in flax meal and rosemary, and combine.

Combine wet ingredients, including the two whole eggs and the two separated egg whites in a large bowl, using a hand-mixer on low or medium speed. [The two separated egg yolks should be set aside in a small bowl for later use as a glaze]. When fully combined, add kalamata olives. Slowly add dry ingredient mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until fully blended, with no lumps. Scrape the sides regularly.

Grease a 9x5" bread pan, and pour the dough into the pan. Use a spatula or knife to evenly shape the top of the loaf. Cut two diagonal slashes in the top of the loaf. Beat the two separated egg yolks that have been set aside and brush the top of the loaf very lightly with them. Optional: Sprinkle coarse sea salt crystals very sparsely to embellish the loaf.

Turn off the oven and immediately place the pan in it. Do not open the door again, if possible. Allow the dough to rise for 90 minutes. It should rise to the very top of the pan.

Increase heat to 350F and bake for approximately 40 minutes. The crust should be golden-brown. Allow to cool slightly before removing it from the pan to finish cooling. Do not slice until the bread is no longer hot.

This loaf does not need to be frozen, but if there are leftovers after a few days, place slices in airtight bags and freeze.

SORGHUM FLOUR MIX

1 1/2 cups sorghum

1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch or some of each

1 cup tapioca flour

FRENCH BREAD

ingredients

* 2 cups rice flour (white)

* 1 cup tapioca flour

* 3 teaspoons xanthan gum

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

* 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

* 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

* 3 egg whites, beaten slightly

* 1 teaspoon vinegar

* melted butter, for brushing (optional)

Directions

1. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.

2. In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.

3. Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.

4. Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.

5. To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.

6. Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.

7. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.

8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

9. Remove from pan to cool.

ETA: On the Kalamata/Rosemary bread that is not the flour mixture I use (that was the original recipe). You have sent me diving for my actual flour mix on that one.

eleanorj Rookie

Thank you, will have to try them.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Almond Flour Bread 2

A versatile recipe that can be used for bread, cakes or pizza.

Ingredients:

DRY INGREDIENTS

1 cup of brown rice flour

1 cup almond flour

¾ cup white rice flour

¼ cup tapioca flour

2 ½ teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons instant yeast

WET INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice

1 - 1 ¼ cups warm water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix dry ingredients in food processor. Add the wet ingredients. Process until it is thick like a cake mix. Add more water as needed. Pour into a loaf pan and let rise as high as ¾ of the pan. Place in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

I made this one the other day, though I subbed 1C gluten-free oat flour for the white rice and tapioca (for a couple of reasons - next time, I will probably do that sub for the brown rice instead. It tasted fine, even my husband and guests thought it was fine (not great, but hey, they eat gluteny bread all the time!), but it (kind of as expected, after all, it has no gluten!) fell a bit after baking. I'm going to try to cool it upside down as best I can next time (like you would do with an angel food cake) and see if that helps. Because I think the heavy, dense, too-moist texture came from it falling down after coming out of the oven. The toddlers eating it loved it!

bbuster Explorer

I am looking for recipes where I would make my own flour mixes versus buying a gluten-free flour mix, those can get quite pricey. If I get desperate, I might give it a try, but I'd rather find good mixes to make myself instead of getting used to buying them mixed if that makes sense. Thanks.

For an actual loaf of bread, this is our favorite. But more often I make rolls or breadsticks, using a couple of other recipes.

I use the Featherlight flour mix in a LOT of other recipes as well.

The Featherlight mix is simply:

1 cup each white rice flour, tapioca flour, and corn starch, plus 1 TBSP potato flour (NOT potato starch).

If I'm out of potato flour I use ground up instant mashed potato flakes, or else just skip

Featherlight Bread

Bette Hagman's recipe

Dry Ingredients

featherlight flour mix 3 cups

Xanthan gum 2 1/4 tsp

unflavored gelatin 1 1/2 tsp

Egg Replacer 1 1/2 tsp

salt 3/4 tsp

sugar 3 tbsp

dry milk or almond meal 1/3 cup

yeast 2 1/4 tsp

ground flax seed (optional) 3 tbsp

Wet Ingredients

eggs 1 plus 2 whites

margarine or butter 4 1/2 tbsp

vinegar 3/4 tsp

honey / molasses 3 tsp

water (more or less) 1 1/2 cups

@ about 110oF.

blend wet ingredients (reserve some of the water)

add dry ingredients - mix on high 3 1/2 minutes

put in pans, cover with plastic

let rise in warm place about 60 minutes

bake 50-60 minutes at 400oF

cover with foil after 10 minutes to prevent over-browning

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LFitts Apprentice

I really like the Bob's Red Mill gluten free bread recipe that's on the bread mix box. It has a slightly sweeter taste, so it's delicious toasted for breakfast. I also like the Udi's multigrain, but it's $6 a loaf, so probably cheaper to find a good recipe.

Juliebove Rising Star

Note that this is not my recipe. I copied it from a newsgroup. But it is quick to make, very good and cheap!

Hi All

It's been quite a while since iI posted but I just had to post a very

simple delicous bread recipe I have developed. Like my mother used to

say "necessity is the mother of invention". We travel a lot for Ken's

work these days and I was forever running out of bread. Then I

developed an allergy to yeast and eggs and that blew all my gluten-free recipes

out of the water for me so I began to experiment with a baking powder

recipe called "lazy man's bread." I found most rice breads have a

tendency to rise beautifully and then drop just before they are done.

I decided to try my own version of this recipe in the microwave

reasoning that since the bread always drops when almost cooked the

microwave might fix this and it worked really well. The recipe I

developed works really well in the corningware plain open stock bowls.

A large soup bowl (not the ceral bowls that come in the sets) makes a

small loaf and two rice bowls can be used instead for buns. I use the

rice flours from the Asian isle in the supermarket. My brand is Ivory

brand and since it is imported from Thailand it is not likely to be

cross sontaminated with wheat flour. The secret to the nice texture is

the sweet rice flour AKA glutenous or sweet rice flour.

Here is my recipe:

Microwave Rice Bread

1/2 cup rice flour

1 heaping teaspoon glutenous rice flour (also called sticky rice flour

and yes it glutten is free even though the name implies

otherwise)

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (according to taste)

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 cup soda water ot carbonated spring water

If I am baking this in the bigger bowl I just put dry ingredients in

the bowl and mix them then I mix in the carbonated water and put it in

the mocrowave immediately for 3 minutes and in a total of 5 minutes

or less I have a soft delicious loaf of bread. This is best eaten

fresh but it is so simple I don't mind baking one whenever I am hungry

for bread. It also makes a delicious hamburger bun it you bake it in

two rice bowls instead.

I have also addapted this recipe to a strawberry shortcake by adding a

bit of sugar (about 1 tbsp) and vanilla. It can also take a bit of

margarine added to it to make it richer. I just go a bit heavy on the