Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cross Contamination From Pets?

4 posts in this topic

My ds is 18 months old. Every time I take him to my mom's house his symptoms come back. He has bad sleep, loss of appetite, constipation, and tantrums. We are careful when eating there. She has bought him his own foods and dishes. The only thing I can think of is the pets are contaminating him. She has cats and dogs. He does get into the bowls sometimes, but I immediately wash his hands. Can he get contaminated from petting them or kissing them?

Ads by Google:

I believe so. I had to switch my 2 cats to grain free food. He can for sure get sick by kissing the pets!

Absolutely Yes. Dogs tend to give kisses on the face, cats lick their fur, son touches and bam. You really need her to use gluten free pet foods. And it's healthier for the pets too.

Colleen

Costco has some affordable grain free pet food.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• My DH was diagnosed with celiac disease several months ago and I was just getting a handle on baking again, turning out gluten free quick breads, muffins, biscuits, breads and cakes like a champ when.....more allergies. Now we are gluten free, dairy free, egg free.....and rice free. Yikes. I've converted to almond and coconut milk, that was a breeze. Vegan egg substitute just made its way into the house for baking and I have high hopes, though I haven't used it yet.  I need a gluten free flour blend that doesn't contain rice flour. On hand I have oat, coconut, sorghum, fufu and amaranth flours, potato starch, corn starch, and xanthan gum. I need a mix that will use what I have on hand, and that will work for quick breads like banana and pumpkin bread.  Anyone have a recipe that has worked for them in the past?
    • Thankyou so much that's really helpful I did wonder about dairy as I seem to bloat a little after a coffee with milk
    • Love your attitude - it will really help you going forward (I was you three years ago...) Don't be surprised as time goes on if you have a lull in your fortitude.  Every once in a while I see (or smell!) a food I really miss, or have an accidental glutening that sets me back, or someone that doesn't understand my issues and thinks I'm a faddist.  I've learned to let myself have a sulk and a pity party and then move on.   Good luck!
    • Hi Natalie, That sounds like how it often goes after beginning the gluten-free diet.  We'd like to think that it would be steady progress in the up direction but it seems like our healing goes back and forth a little.  The immune system reaction takes a while to settle down, weeks to months.  So it is hard for the gut to heal while that reaction is going on. It's helpful to eat simple foods at first and avoid dairy.  Processed foods including baked goods are best left on the shelf.  Try to eat whole foods only including meats, vegetables and nuts.  Carbs and sugar are not helpful. Things should get better after a month or two if your diet is clean of gluten and diary.  Then you can try adding things back in slowly one item a week. Peppermint tea can help with bloating.  Probiotics may help too. Welcome to the forum!
    • like I said I am new and just learning ...   Is Mirlax gluten free
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    trecio