3 replies to this topic

#1 Wheresthebeef

Wheresthebeef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hey everyone. I'm celiac and I've been on a gluten-free diet since the middle of December. I think I am having issues with fat absorption. Whenever I eat a high fat meal, about 2 hours later I get nausea that lasts for hours. I have also had some D occasionally from it.

I just wonder what is the best thing for me to do at this point? I don't want to avoid all fat since I think I need to absorb some fat (good fat vs bad fat). However I think that eating high fat meals are irritating my intestines, which I don't want to happen. Should I try to avoid as much fat as possible since it doesn't get absorbed well, or should I try to eat some even if it might give me D or intestinal irritation?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I personally feel that some digestive enzymes would help the most, preferably animal-derived, with lipase being the most important. Get the kind that you take with every meal. You need enzymes to break down the fats and gluten can often cause pancreatic insufficiency. You might try some betaine HCl as well. Don't start taking them both at the same time or you won't know which is or isn't helping. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

My nutritionist has identified this a problem for me. I've found that I can only take very small amounts of fat at a time...as in 1/8 of an avocado or 4 pecan halves. I have to work hard to make sure the fat I am ingesting is healthy fat...I found that once I upped my intake of lean protein I felt better. You should probably discuss it with your doctor or nutritionist if you can since they may be able to help you figure out what works best for your body at this point.

#4 Wheresthebeef

Wheresthebeef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

My nutritionist has identified this a problem for me. I've found that I can only take very small amounts of fat at a time...as in 1/8 of an avocado or 4 pecan halves. I have to work hard to make sure the fat I am ingesting is healthy fat...I found that once I upped my intake of lean protein I felt better. You should probably discuss it with your doctor or nutritionist if you can since they may be able to help you figure out what works best for your body at this point.

Wow I think I can handle more than that even...

I am going to mention it to my doctor next time I see him and I will try the enzymes too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: