arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Heart Rhythm Problems And Digestion

afib atrial fibrillation electrolytes nutrition leaky gut; soy food sensitivities

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Many posters have started topics as to whether there is a connection between celiac and heart arrythmias, skipped beats, and irregularities.

I post on a forum called afibbers.org because this is one of my food-related curses. Today there was a new post by one of the founding members of the forum, who is a nutritionist, who posted a compendium of notes she had taken at various conferences she had attended on the subject at hand. This is one person's (albeit a pretty informed person) take on the topic and I found it very interesting reading. Those of you who have experienced a racing heart, skipped beats, etc., might be interested in reading it. I was particularly flabbergasted to note the statement I have bolded below: This is the first I have heard of such a condition. I will look into it.

"3. Dysbiosis. An imbalance between friendly and unfriendly gut flora. Typically, it’s too much unfriendly. Candida albicans overgrowth is an example of dysbiosis.

There are 500 species gut bacteria. About 25 have official names. Besides releasing various chemicals and cytokines that cause inflammation which then gets into the blood stream (translocation) which is typical in surgical patients who develop complications – (sepsis, toxic shock). Translocation starts in the gut. Leaky gut can be the source of autoimmune disorders.
Evaluate gut flora with Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) Genova and include parasites. Or test for Inflammatory Cytokines – Interleukin 11 in an IBD blood panel.

SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) was discussed in a post not long ago. Bacteria the colon or large intestine migrates into the small intestine where it doesn’t belong and causes significant GI problems. [See References listing]

Important – It should be noted that people who have had severe GI-related infections such as C. diff are left with what is known as Post-Infectious Irritable Bowel Syndrome (PI-IBS) and this stays with them for life. They will always be highly susceptible to any type of toxin or exposure such as minor food poisoning or a gut bug. They must be mindful to keep their bowel flora optimized continually (using high-quality probiotics). "

http://www.afibbers....ad.php?9,136149
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Important – It should be noted that people who have had severe GI-related infections such as C. diff are left with what is known as Post-Infectious Irritable Bowel Syndrome (PI-IBS) and this stays with them for life. They will always be highly susceptible to any type of toxin or exposure such as minor food poisoning or a gut bug. They must be mindful to keep their bowel flora optimized continually (using high-quality probiotics). "

WOW! Thanks so much for posting this, mushroom! My DIL had a life-threatening bout with C. diff 18 months ago, and she has to be SO careful of what she eats! It only takes a little tiny bit of sugar, or un-fermented dairy to make her very sick and cause her a lot of pain. It will help her to be able to tell people there is scientific support...there are some in her family who think it's "all in her head". I am sad to know that post-infectious IBS is lifelong. She had hoped to heal enough to go back to eating some of her favorite foods.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for posting this, mushroom. I'm at work, but will read the article when I get home. I do tend to have palps right after eating, though I thought this might be due to some (common) vagal nerve issue. I have had problems with recurring SIBO over the last several years and had no idea the palps could come from that though. Very interesting...

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Many posters have started topics as to whether there is a connection between celiac and heart arrythmias, skipped beats, and irregularities.

I post on a forum called afibbers.org because this is one of my food-related curses. Today there was a new post by one of the founding members of the forum, who is a nutritionist, who posted a compendium of notes she had taken at various conferences she had attended on the subject at hand. This is one person's (albeit a pretty informed person) take on the topic and I found it very interesting reading. Those of you who have experienced a racing heart, skipped beats, etc., might be interested in reading it. I was particularly flabbergasted to note the statement I have bolded below: This is the first I have heard of such a condition. I will look into it.

"3. Dysbiosis. An imbalance between friendly and unfriendly gut flora. Typically, it’s too much unfriendly. Candida albicans overgrowth is an example of dysbiosis.

There are 500 species gut bacteria. About 25 have official names. Besides releasing various chemicals and cytokines that cause inflammation which then gets into the blood stream (translocation) which is typical in surgical patients who develop complications – (sepsis, toxic shock). Translocation starts in the gut. Leaky gut can be the source of autoimmune disorders.
Evaluate gut flora with Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) Genova and include parasites. Or test for Inflammatory Cytokines – Interleukin 11 in an IBD blood panel.

SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) was discussed in a post not long ago. Bacteria the colon or large intestine migrates into the small intestine where it doesn’t belong and causes significant GI problems. [See References listing]

I tired to open the link and it asked for a user name / password

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I tired to open the link and it asked for a user name / password

There is no problem in giving that to you if it is preventing you from getting on - only exists to keep out automatic spamming. They even give the info. on the website: User name: afibbers Password: 2sesame
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

There is no problem in giving that to you if it is preventing you from getting on - only exists to keep out automatic spamming. They even give the info. on the website: User name: afibbers Password: 2sesame

Sorry , if I had read the pop up closer I would have seen that :P Thanks for posting the link..

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: afib, atrial fibrillation, electrolytes, nutrition, leaky gut; soy, food sensitivities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: