Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Elevated Ck Level - What Could It Mean?

2 posts in this topic

My 3.5-year-old son was diagnosed with celiac disease just over a year ago. His TTG has gone from well over 100 to normal during that time, and all symptoms are gone.

However, in all routine bloodwork done since Oct 2012 his liver enzymes have remained elevated. His GI ordered some additional bloodwork last week to look into it. All the typical liver tests came back normal, including his AST. His CK level came back very high though - just over 2,300. The next step is to see a neurologist. The GI said the CK has to do with muscles and red blood cells. The GI called us at 7 pm on a Friday to tell us this and we're terrified of what it could mean.

For what it's worth, he is an incredibly athletic, energetic kid. No signs of lethargy or weakness since going gluten-free.

Ads by Google:

Hi Semily-

Were his liver enzymes elevated at diagnosis? or is this new as of Oct '12?

First thing is try not to worry - I know - impossible for a parent, but try. Doctor has done the correct thing in transferring to another specialty -- was it neurologist or nephrologist?

Only advice I have at this point is ask lots of questions -- also make sure all "abnormal" blood tests are repeated.

Celiac can play havoc with multiple symptoms. Hold on to the fact that he has improved gluten free and will likely continue to do so.

Hang in there Mom.

Big HUG :)