1 reply to this topic

#1 semily

semily

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

My 3.5-year-old son was diagnosed with celiac disease just over a year ago. His TTG has gone from well over 100 to normal during that time, and all symptoms are gone.

However, in all routine bloodwork done since Oct 2012 his liver enzymes have remained elevated. His GI ordered some additional bloodwork last week to look into it. All the typical liver tests came back normal, including his AST. His CK level came back very high though - just over 2,300. The next step is to see a neurologist. The GI said the CK has to do with muscles and red blood cells. The GI called us at 7 pm on a Friday to tell us this and we're terrified of what it could mean.

For what it's worth, he is an incredibly athletic, energetic kid. No signs of lethargy or weakness since going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi Semily-

Were his liver enzymes elevated at diagnosis? or is this new as of Oct '12?

First thing is try not to worry - I know - impossible for a parent, but try. Doctor has done the correct thing in transferring to another specialty -- was it neurologist or nephrologist?

Only advice I have at this point is ask lots of questions -- also make sure all "abnormal" blood tests are repeated.

Celiac can play havoc with multiple symptoms. Hold on to the fact that he has improved gluten free and will likely continue to do so.

Hang in there Mom.

Big HUG :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: