• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I remebered that we have had this discussion a few times before:

http://www.celiac.co...rs/#entry818593

Go down to the one by Magpiewrites

http://www.celiac.co...and-vegetables/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

You can really wrap anything you want in them:

Left over salad & dip in dressing
Steak and grilled peppers or even mashed potatoes or cheese
Chicken and dip in BBQ sauce
Cream cheese and strawberries dip in vanilla yogurt

We use them like this - boys love them with all sorts of leftovers thrown in - I usually just put meat with my basil or cilantro "pesto". I haven't had rice since March, but rice is the first grain ill be testing in the coming months - I'm getting excited planning already!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

We use them like this - boys love them with all sorts of leftovers thrown in - I usually just put meat with my basil or cilantro "pesto". I haven't had rice since March, but rice is the first grain ill be testing in the coming months - I'm getting excited planning already!

How do you prepare the rice paper? Do you cook it? Does it stay rolled up if you want to bring it for lunch? Could I freeze ones with freezable insides and thaw at a later date?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I dip them in a bowl of hot water - then put on paper towel - add stuffing - then roll - we have taken them in back pack for picnic lunch - never frozen them, but have made them the night before and kept in frig.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#20 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I remebered that we have had this discussion a few times before:

http://www.celiac.co...rs/#entry818593

Go down to the one by Magpiewrites

http://www.celiac.co...and-vegetables/

Karen,

Wow. Great links. Thank you.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Are they easy to find in stores?

#22 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

My Hubs found them in our local grocery store (Krogers). I had never seen them before.

Previously I had talked to the management about gluten free foods. Told them about keeping gluten-free flours above the other stuff, etc. I had also asked them to start stocking more gluten free stuff, not just pre-packaged stuff and cookies. They have done quite well at adding new items as time goes by.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

No, I've just read people say they've used those rice paper rolls to make baklava.
Always a good idea! :lol:

I heard that you can do this too :P

I was thinking that rice paper might work as a replacement for phyllo

#24 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Reading this thread had me craving spring rolls (a pre gluten-free favo of mine) but sadly I couldn't find gluten-free papers at my grocery :( I wonder if the health food store would have them....
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#25 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

If  you have an oriental store nearby, they'll have rice paper (and noodles) in an assortment of sizes.  Some people don't like to purchase from oriental stores, but I've had no problems and I've found that the prices are significantly better than mainstream grocery stores.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#26 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

I would love to check out an oriental store but there aren't any where I live. We have more than one Mexican store, but no oriental. In my grocery store they did have wraps but they werent gluten-free.

#27 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Okay so I found some at the health food store, not bad in price at all. Super yummy stuffed with lettuce, carrot, kale, and bean sprouts! Yummo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: