1 reply to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

My 7 year old DD has been gluten free for ~7 months. She just had her follow-up appt and her tTg was still high, so we obviously need to figure out where the gluten is coming from.

Her iron was also low (I don't know what the number was) and the doctor told us to give her a supplement. Any suggestions? I bought Floravital at Pharmaca today because that's what they suggested, but I worry that she's going to hate it. (If it does work out well, I see now that I can pay a lot less online...)

The only other thing I've found for kids is the Flintstones multi with iron. Are there other options?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wembles

wembles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

We did Floravital with my 21 month old, and he tolerated it well (which surprised me, because to me it is gag worthy...). We called it juice and initially chased it with orange or cranberry juice (for the Vitamin C to aid in absorption), but after a few days he just wanted it straight.

We did end up switching to a chewable, mostly because it was easier to carry with us if needed (and also because the Floravital does ferment over time (you have to throw it out after 4 weeks) and I could tell it was starting to taste funny to him after about 3 weeks. We are currently using Natural Factor's Easy Iron chewables. They are peach flavored and he really likes them--we cut them in half to split the dose up throughout the day. We were told to do the Flintstones vitamins, too, but I wasn't comfortable with the form of iron they contain (constipating, at least for some children)...or the artificial colors and sweeteners added to them.

I also read good things about Nature's Plus Chewables; I just couldn't find them locally, but you could get them online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: