1 reply to this topic

#1 anngf4life

anngf4life

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I am New to this site, only 1 week or so, I would like to ask a question about cross contamination...I have a spouse that has many health issues and I don't believe that he can go gluten free (waiting to hear from his doctor) so there fore I would like to be able to continue making his food that he loves and needs for him and also make gluten free for my self. I find that when I even heat up soup for him I feel some sort of sigh of cc. Would I need to protect my hands and have seperate utensils for my preps? Please help me someone, I so not know anyone gluten-free around me that I can talk to. Thanks in advance! Mediators, sorry for my errors, I am New and did not know better...slap, slap on my hand! Lol thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hello, ann. Can you tell us a little more about what your husband eats because of his health issues, and your reactions when you prepare gluten free foods for him? For example, do you have a contact dermatitis when you touch gluten, or do you have a problem breathing in gluten flour, or do you think you are getting gluten crumbs from his foods (this would be the biggest source of cross-contamination, especially from counters, toasters, colanders, etc.) You could also get contamination from wooden and plastic spoons and cutting boards where gluten foods have been, and from scratched teflon pans where gluten has gotten in the scratches. You can contaminate food by dipping a knife with crumbs into spreads that are shared. Gluten free food can be contaminated in pantries and refrigerators if it is on lower shelves and you drop gluten food from upper shelves onto it. It is best to keep gluten free up high and gluten down low if you have to share.

It is not usually necessary to wear gloves to avoid contamination if you wash your hands after touching anything gluten containing.

Sorry you have had trouble using the board. Just remember to read the title of the section you are posting in and try to post it in the most appropriate place. A moderator will often move it for you if it appears to be under the wrong topic :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009