arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Club Dinner, Small Buffet - To Go Or Not To Go?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherRJSoleil

HeatherRJSoleil

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi there,
One of my running clubs is having a Member Appreciation dinner. It's a sit-down affair w/about four buffet items to choose from. The only thing on the list that I can eat is "vegetable crudites." Everything else involves pasta or bread. It costs money to go, and I'm on sort of a tight budget right now, so it seems like a waste to spend the money and not eat, but it would be nice to visit with folks too. But I would feel awkward sitting there with my carrot sticks while everyone else is digging into a full meal.
So I need to decide -- to go or not to go?

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Any feedback would be most helpful.
Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Can you bring your own meal?

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

My view is that if you are paying for it, they should be able to provide a suitable alternative meal. Can you contact the organisers in advance, to see what they could offer as an alternative? If they can't do that, you should not be paying money for food you can't eat, especially if you are on a tight budget, it does not seem fair.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#4 HeatherRJSoleil

HeatherRJSoleil

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

My view is that if you are paying for it, they should be able to provide a suitable alternative meal. Can you contact the organisers in advance, to see what they could offer as an alternative? If they can't do that, you should not be paying money for food you can't eat, especially if you are on a tight budget, it does not seem fair.

Thank you. I didn't see much of anything on the restaurant's regular menu that was gluten/dairy free except for a salad, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, I would probably save my money. Thanks for the feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: