This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Throwing Up As A Symptom Of Glutening?

gleegan

gleegan Rookie

I ate at an Indian restaurant last night with a group of people and I did something that I never do - I didn't check out the restaurant to see is what I was ordering was gluten-free. I was just on a trip and asked these questions over and over and I guess I figured because I've never had a problem with Indian food, that it would be ok. I got aloo gohbi, which is potato and cauliflower in sauce and there should not be any gluten in that, though I am sensitive and there could have been CC. Anyway, we went for a drink afterwards and I started feeling VERY bloated and when I went to the bathroom I had D - these are common symptoms for me. However, then I started to feel very nauseated and as soon as I broke from the group and went into the subway, I actually threw up! That has never happened to me with glutening and I don't think I was food poisoned as everyone else was fine and it's a high-rated restaurant. Has anyone else gotten nauseated and thrown up from gluten? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

The last time I was glutened (only the 4th time in 10 years!) I began throwing up about 2 hours later. For the next 3 hours, I sat on the john and threw up countless times (I don't get why the stomach keeps trying to empty when it's obvious there's nothing left in there!) while the gluten did its best to get out of my body from both ends. My glutening was a careless mistake on my part and I'm super careful. I won't be as complacent again!!

bartfull Rising Star

It could well be from gluten, or it could be from the drink you had. A lot of us can't handle alcohol at all anymore, and just one drink can give us those results.

gleegan Rookie

The last time I was glutened (only the 4th time in 10 years!) I began throwing up about 2 hours later. For the next 3 hours, I sat on the john and threw up countless times (I don't get why the stomach keeps trying to empty when it's obvious there's nothing left in there!) while the gluten did its best to get out of my body from both ends. My glutening was a careless mistake on my part and I'm super careful. I won't be as complacent again!!

Thanks for the replies. I am always so careful so it doesn't seem fair that the one time I don't check something out that should be fine, it isn't. But I guess if one moment of not being thorough results in throwing up in public, I will never assume a meal will be fine again!!! I'm quite sure that it was gluten and not the drink since (thank goodness) I haven't had a problem with wine so far.
  • 4 weeks later...
KMMO320 Contributor

I know I am late here, but most of the times my symptoms are the same, usually head stuff. Dizziness, nausea with no vomiting, Diarrhea, migraines, but sometimes it IS vomiting. I never used to get symptoms bad, but the longer I am gluten-free, the worse it is. I got glutened bad from Texas Roadhouse because I didn't ask them anything. I just ordered a steak and backed potato, assuming it was safe. Within 2 hours, I was vomiting and bloated and my stomach was in PAIN. only thing to do was go to sleep. It was awful. Migraine and vomiting for 2 days :( 

shadowicewolf Proficient

about texas roadhouse i always tell them that i'm gluten free. I don't allow them to add anything to a potato (if i have it), etc.

mommida Enthusiast

I have been gluten free for years.  Then I developed an intolerance to Lobster.  (I will vomit in 15 minutes to 2 hours after eating it.)

Are you sure you aren't having a reaction to a different food?  That being said I swear I have vommited as a reaction to gluten too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
kittty Contributor

Some Indian sauces have gluten in them, especially if the restaurant uses pre-packaged sauce.

My workplace has an Indian restaurant, and they buy-in the sauces, but the company that makes the sauce labels the safe ones as gluten-free. It's about 50/50 for their sauces.

(Thankfully the end-product is created in a clean environment, so I've never been glutened there.)

scenicgurl Newbie

I was trying to save some money by buying store brand nutella instead of the actual thing. I didn't carefully read the label sicne it had been fine the previous time I bought it. Unfortunatly, I was throwing up the whole next day and could barely hold down water. They had changed the recipe and  just wrote "may contain gluten things". So much for saving 70 cents. Lesson learned, always read the labels.

Archived