Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Reacting To Wheat Vodka? Is That Even Possible?

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi all!
I have spent some time back home (Italy) and generally didn't have much problems eating out, because servers and sometimes even cooks go out of their way to give you a dish similar to what everyone else is having but without gluten and grains; nor had I problems staying home, because my mother had secured different nonstick pans for me, and my family is beginning to like my grainless cooking.

Then one day I went to a lovely fish restaurant. Everything was fine till dessert (usually my reactions, especially edema and swelling, come rather quickly, 20 minutes or so), which consisted just of fruit, pineapple, dates, oranges, berries et cetera, each soaked in different spirits, cognac, grappa, and wheat vodka.

By the time I got into the car I started feeling awful, my tummy swell a lot, my legs swelled, and I started having first some kind of anxiety and then lethargy as I would get before going gluten-free.

Could it have been vodka? But isn't vodka supposed to be a safe drink? I know I can drink cognac and grappa just fine, and I customarily eat those fruits, too, with no problem. I never had problems with the kind of fish I had, before or after the event. They seemed very careful about cross contamination.

Has anyone here had problems with vodka?
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I drank vodka for some time during my early gluten-free days - eventually I was unable to. I switched to potato vodka but reacted to that as well. I think it is more about alcohol being tough on a damaged digestive system than the grain involved - as the distillling process removes the gluten proteins - from what I understand.

Another possibility is something you ate at the restaurant was cross contaminated in the kitchen.

Try drinking plain vodka to check for a reaction - I certainly miss my cosmos and raspberry martinis and did not give them up without much contemplation ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thanks! I think I won't try the vodka-challenge for a while though. I swelled for over 8 lbs for, like, less than half a shot, and that has not gone off yet.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

I have reacted to wheat vodka, but I can drink alcohol in another form. I am very sensitive, however and eat very few processed foods.

#5 hoggja

hoggja

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I have also reacted to wheat derived vodka and I am super sensitive. I know drink potato vodka with no problems.
Good luck!

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I do react to wheat based distilled spirits. Not many of us do but it is possible. I have no issues at all with potato based vodkas or other non-gluten grain derived alcohols.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I've had problems with tolerating any alcohol since my first coeliac symptoms started to arise....I completely skip the drunk stage and go straight to an awful sick/hangover stage....anyone else find alcohol a problem? Does this go away as we recover? I'm only recently diagnosed...

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

#8 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Hi
I was lucky enough to have a beautiful cocktail at a posh hotel just before Christmas - totally yum - totally glutened! :angry: . I was so cross - only have one of these a year and now it's off the list.
Apart from this I only drink wine - a glass here and there. Since gluten free I have a job drinking it - have a small glass (yum again!) but feel it after a couple of mouthfuls and by the time I get to the bottom of the glass feel like I have drunk most of a bottle :blink: . Good value I suppose but I don't think my stomach likes it.

#9 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I have reacted to vodka since my 20s, with vomiting and instant skin rashes. I gave up in the end. I gave up all alcohol in the end 15 years later. Flavored vodkas were the worst (and the worst times were in Italy, as it happens). I have NCGI.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#10 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have reacted to vodka since my 20s, with vomiting and instant skin rashes. I gave up in the end. I gave up all alcohol in the end 15 years later. Flavored vodkas were the worst (and the worst times were in Italy, as it happens). I have NCGI.

Ouch, I knew our flavoured vodka were awful, but didn't know they were also bad for you :P . I am lucky that I consider the flavored ones totally revolting. I get shivers at the simple thought of the infamous canteloupe vodka.

I feel less weird now. It is so interesting that many of us cannot stomach alcohol. I have always been a very light drinker also for that reason: my drunk state kicks in after two glasses of wine, and it feels horrible: lethargy, headache, weakness in my joints, severe grumpiness, et cetera. Not exactly my idea of fun.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#11 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Twenty2 vodka is gluten free, labeled and everything. It's also made in my hometown in Maine! www.twent2vodka.com check it out!
~**caselynn**~

#12 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hahaha - melon vodka was the worst!! I broke out all over my face and body in 2 minutes. I always had a reputation as a lightweight, now I know why :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#13 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hahaha - melon vodka was the worst!! I broke out all over my face and body in 2 minutes. I always had a reputation as a lightweight, now I know why :)

My respect to you for having the guts to drink the abominable melon vodka.

No, wait...

:lol:

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#14 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

It was a memorable night :)

Well, I say memorable...

#15 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Funny....someone knew my love of mixing fun vodka martinis -- this was long before diagnosis -- brought me Grey Goose Vanilla -- I mixed up something we decided tasted like Juicy Fruit Gum -- yes it was a great, fun night -- I woke in the middle of the night -- hubby thought I might be getting sick from too much al-key-hall -- no I was a rash from head to toe -- too bad I dismissed many of these one off clues over the years.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: