This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reacting To Wheat Vodka? Is That Even Possible?

ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Hi all!

I have spent some time back home (Italy) and generally didn't have much problems eating out, because servers and sometimes even cooks go out of their way to give you a dish similar to what everyone else is having but without gluten and grains; nor had I problems staying home, because my mother had secured different nonstick pans for me, and my family is beginning to like my grainless cooking.

Then one day I went to a lovely fish restaurant. Everything was fine till dessert (usually my reactions, especially edema and swelling, come rather quickly, 20 minutes or so), which consisted just of fruit, pineapple, dates, oranges, berries et cetera, each soaked in different spirits, cognac, grappa, and wheat vodka.

By the time I got into the car I started feeling awful, my tummy swell a lot, my legs swelled, and I started having first some kind of anxiety and then lethargy as I would get before going gluten-free.

Could it have been vodka? But isn't vodka supposed to be a safe drink? I know I can drink cognac and grappa just fine, and I customarily eat those fruits, too, with no problem. I never had problems with the kind of fish I had, before or after the event. They seemed very careful about cross contamination.

Has anyone here had problems with vodka?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I drank vodka for some time during my early gluten-free days - eventually I was unable to. I switched to potato vodka but reacted to that as well. I think it is more about alcohol being tough on a damaged digestive system than the grain involved - as the distillling process removes the gluten proteins - from what I understand.

Another possibility is something you ate at the restaurant was cross contaminated in the kitchen.

Try drinking plain vodka to check for a reaction - I certainly miss my cosmos and raspberry martinis and did not give them up without much contemplation ;)

Thanks! I think I won't try the vodka-challenge for a while though. I swelled for over 8 lbs for, like, less than half a shot, and that has not gone off yet.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have reacted to wheat vodka, but I can drink alcohol in another form. I am very sensitive, however and eat very few processed foods.

hoggja Newbie

I have also reacted to wheat derived vodka and I am super sensitive. I know drink potato vodka with no problems.

Good luck!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I do react to wheat based distilled spirits. Not many of us do but it is possible. I have no issues at all with potato based vodkas or other non-gluten grain derived alcohols.

Hala Apprentice

I've had problems with tolerating any alcohol since my first coeliac symptoms started to arise....I completely skip the drunk stage and go straight to an awful sick/hangover stage....anyone else find alcohol a problem? Does this go away as we recover? I'm only recently diagnosed...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

I was lucky enough to have a beautiful cocktail at a posh hotel just before Christmas - totally yum - totally glutened! :angry: . I was so cross - only have one of these a year and now it's off the list.

Apart from this I only drink wine - a glass here and there. Since gluten free I have a job drinking it - have a small glass (yum again!) but feel it after a couple of mouthfuls and by the time I get to the bottom of the glass feel like I have drunk most of a bottle :blink: . Good value I suppose but I don't think my stomach likes it.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I have reacted to vodka since my 20s, with vomiting and instant skin rashes. I gave up in the end. I gave up all alcohol in the end 15 years later. Flavored vodkas were the worst (and the worst times were in Italy, as it happens). I have NCGI.

I have reacted to vodka since my 20s, with vomiting and instant skin rashes. I gave up in the end. I gave up all alcohol in the end 15 years later. Flavored vodkas were the worst (and the worst times were in Italy, as it happens). I have NCGI.

Ouch, I knew our flavoured vodka were awful, but didn't know they were also bad for you :P . I am lucky that I consider the flavored ones totally revolting. I get shivers at the simple thought of the infamous canteloupe vodka.

I feel less weird now. It is so interesting that many of us cannot stomach alcohol. I have always been a very light drinker also for that reason: my drunk state kicks in after two glasses of wine, and it feels horrible: lethargy, headache, weakness in my joints, severe grumpiness, et cetera. Not exactly my idea of fun.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Twenty2 vodka is gluten free, labeled and everything. It's also made in my hometown in Maine! www.twent2vodka.com check it out!

Hahaha - melon vodka was the worst!! I broke out all over my face and body in 2 minutes. I always had a reputation as a lightweight, now I know why :)

Hahaha - melon vodka was the worst!! I broke out all over my face and body in 2 minutes. I always had a reputation as a lightweight, now I know why :)

My respect to you for having the guts to drink the abominable melon vodka.

No, wait...

:lol:

It was a memorable night :)

Well, I say memorable...

GottaSki Mentor

Funny....someone knew my love of mixing fun vodka martinis -- this was long before diagnosis -- brought me Grey Goose Vanilla -- I mixed up something we decided tasted like Juicy Fruit Gum -- yes it was a great, fun night -- I woke in the middle of the night -- hubby thought I might be getting sick from too much al-key-hall -- no I was a rash from head to toe -- too bad I dismissed many of these one off clues over the years.

Me too, could have saved over 20 years....

Oh well, maybe someone reading this will have the penny drop :)

Archived