Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Prenatal Vitamins

4 posts in this topic

I was formally diagnosed with Celiac's about two weeks ago and started a gluten free diet. I found out last week that I'm pregnant. I went to the pharmacy to get a prenatal vitamin, I read the ingredients on the label and I fairly certain it is gluten free...my question, is reading the labels on a medicine bottle enough?

I also just realized by playing around with an Iphone app that sprite zero has gluten. :(

I think I will start scanning everything I buy now...even if it says gluten free.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Many of these phone apps are incorrect. Not sure if its because they haven't gotten an official statement from the manufacturer or what. I have never seen a mainstream soda with gluten in it in the US.

Nature made seems to make many gluten free vitamins

http://www.naturemade.com/products/segments/prenatal-multivitamins

Thanks for the link!! I'm actually taking that brand of prenatals. I feel great to have found a product on my own that is safe!! Empowering.

The app that said sprite zero has gluten said it was from the "natural flavors" ...this is about the only drink that will settle the morning sickness. I don't drink much, water is my main drink, but it still freaked me out.

I tend to believe other celiac'ers about what has gluten and what doesn't than a phone app.

Thanks for the link!! I'm actually taking that brand of prenatals. I feel great to have found a product on my own that is safe!! Empowering.

The app that said sprite zero has gluten said it was from the "natural flavors" ...this is about the only drink that will settle the morning sickness. I don't drink much, water is my main drink, but it still freaked me out.

I tend to believe other celiac'ers about what has gluten and what doesn't than a phone app.

Being pregnant, you might want to skip the artificial sweeteners and go for full strength. Usually a bit of sugar makes the nausea better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• amalgam dental fillings - remove or not?
      Yes, I meant mercury not lead, thank you for the correction. That's what happens when I stay on the computer until late at night.  The symptoms I have now resemble my gluten reaction and I know it's almost impossible that I would be getting glutened. I remember someone here mentioning that he/she had amalgam fillings removed and it helped, but that was few years back. That's why I posted it here. 
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      akohlman--I am exactly 1 month from being diagnosed and still going through cleaning out of all the gluten foods from my life. I have really bad Dermatitis Herpetiformis but other wise I had no reason to think I had something like Celiac Disease. That being said, I TOTALLY understand. For me... its hard to be sick and not feel sick if that makes sense.....   I'm going to make the changes. I'm going to live a gluten-free life but like you... I STILL am devastated. I'm overweight... so obviously I don't have a healthy relationship with food, LOL, so I'm DYING at the idea of never eating Pizza Hut, Chili's Pasta, Red Lobster Pasta, McDonalds, etc. I don't care what anyone says.... that is a HUGE adjustment for me and I'm still reeling from the "loss".   That being sad.... I have 3 children and a husband depending on me and I'll do all I can to lengthen my lifespan so.... Here is to new journeys.   YOU ARE NOT ALONE in your sadness!
    • puffiness in face
      The way to fix food intolerance symptoms is to stop eating the food causing the symptoms.  Dark Angel is right, there are very few tests for food intolerances.  Mostly we have to test ourselves through diet experiments.  Typically an elimination diet of some sort is used.  Eliminating food groups is one way, or cutting back to just a few foods and building from there is another.  Changing your diet is the way to go.
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      Hi akohlman, It is quite an adjustment.  But it isn't a bad change.  While you have to give up some foods you may also end up finding other foods you really enjoy.  And most likely you will be eating a more nutritious, healthier diet than many of your friends do. Try to stick to whole foods you cook at home for a while.  If you want to eat out you can take food with you, or spend some time on the web searching out gluten-free restaurants on your area.  But to get started learning, it is best to cook you own food.  Meat, veggies, eggs, nuts and fruit should be the main foods you eat.  Maybe dairy will work for you, maybe not. It can take months for the immune reaction to stop and your body to heal enough to absorb nutrients properly.  It is good to get your vitamin and mineral levels checked so you know which might be low.  Even a tiny crumb of gluten can make us sick.  Cross contamination is a real problem.  And since the immune reaction doesn't stop when the food leaves your body, you have to be careful what you eat/drink.  But after you have been doing the gluten-free diet a while you get used to eating different and it becomes the new normal.
    • puffiness in face
      I was told by the allergist that there are not tests currently for food intolerance, just testing for allergies.  Maybe it depends on the practitioner that you go to.  That would be a relevant question as well as histamine intolerance testing/treatment when choosing a practitioner.  It is helpful to keep a food log with reactions for reference for yourself and the health care professional that you might consult.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Flora Simpson