27 replies to this topic

#1 spryng

spryng

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

So Ive been gluten free for over two months now...I feel great but recently I noticed Im getting sick after having a glass of white wine. I checked months ago to make sure its gluten-free and it is, its St James white wine and the first time I thought I drank too much on an empty stomach (two glasses on new years eve) led to an entire night of vomiting and diarhea then last night I had one glass and again an entire night of vomiting etc. Do any of you have reactions to alcohol? I have been so careful with what I eat and drink, havent been glutened once and now this? Any thoughts or experiences?
Spryng

mother to 4 great kids, 32 years old

Gluten free since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I only have a problem when I over-indulge. Your system may be especially sensitive to anything since you are so recently gluten-free. Give it a little while and try again. Several things that made me sick at first do not any more since my system has had time to heal.

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Over the years, a great deal of people have reported issues with alcohol of all
kinds after going gluten free. I myself went from being able to drink like a fish to
being a two-and-done person almost overnight. Some people have trouble
tolerating alcohol at all. For now, I would say to go ahead and skip all alcoholic
beverages for at least a few months, clearly your system is rejecting it, and it's
not going to help if you keep forcing the issue.Sorry you feel so yucky! If any
alcohol had ever made me throw up I don't think I'd ever drink again....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 spryng

spryng

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

The crazy thing is it was almost like my stomach wasnt digesting my meals yesterday at all. When I got sick after my glass of wine this was around midnight I threw up dinner...ALL of it and lunch and even breakfast! All of it like it was just sitting and not digesting...anyone have that issue too? Maybe I need to start a probiotic? any brands that are gluten-free? So I think the wine made me sick but there is something else going on (or lack of going on) within my stomach and digestive system. I do take vitamins daily etc but maybe I need something else too.
Spryng

#5 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Maybe I need to start a probiotic? any brands that are gluten-free?

I just started taking MegaFood, "MegaFlora Plus." It' dairy, soy and certified gluten-free.

Make progress, become well and stay well.

#6 DerpTyler

DerpTyler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

I can drink just fine but if your in a social setting contamination is brutal, I cant play beer pong anymore :(

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

So I think the wine made me sick but there is something else going on (or lack of going on) within my stomach and digestive system. I do take vitamins daily etc but maybe I need something else too.

Maybe, in addition to probiotics, you need to take a digestive enzyme with each meal. Gluten can play havoc with the pancreas, and if it isn't putting out enzymes, nothing much is going to get digested. All you've got working for you is the enzymes in your saliva at that point. Of course, you could have a motility problem too, slow passage of food through the gastrointestinal tract. Do you have a doctor you can talk to about this? They can measure the amount of time it takes for your food to passage, and there are medications that can help speed it on its way. But first I would try the digestive enzymes. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

I've had problems with tolerating any alcohol since my first coeliac symptoms started to arise....I completely skip the drunk stage and go straight to an awful sick/hangover stage!

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

#9 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I too used to be able to drink (wine) with no problem.... then I got sick. I wen through about 6 months of not drinking (and pouting ;) ) before I tried it again. It was another six months or so before I could do much more than a Small glass without becoming totally drunk. Your body has gone throug hmajor trauma and like anything else needs time (sometimes it feels like too much time) to heal. While you heal you may find that other foods/beverages start to bother you. It's all in the healing........ Give it some time and try again.

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

I can drink red, not white -- and have to limit the red due to histamine intolerance.

White wine started bothering me shortly after I went gluten free -- I always thought it was because it had more sulphites than red -- I don't do well with anything that ends with -ite, -ate or -ose.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

The alcohol is probably bothering you more right now because your gut is trying to heal. Like others have said, I'd lay off it for a few months then see how it goes.
Many celiacs do end up having problems with alcohol in general though, or sulphite allergies, etc.
I know what you mean about "skipping the drunk stage". I was HORRIBLY sick on NYE as well (didn't eat a full meal before going, and who knows what kind of CC I got into with party food...) and it took weeks to heal my poor raw gut. Thankfully, on a good stomach day, I can handle a couple glasses of wine (slowly) with little problem.

So, be a tea-totaller (sp?) for a few months, then ease back into it and see how you feel.

And definitely take digestive enzymes. Even 4 years gluten-free, I don't know what I do without them now.

happy healing

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#12 spryng

spryng

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thank you all so much! What digestive enzymes do you suggest? Imgonna get that and a probiotic this weekend.
Spryng

#13 langone7

langone7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I can't drink at all, even before gluten free, I would get horribly dizzy, nauseated, etc. after even a sip. I take Soloray digestaway enzymes.

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I used to take VSL#3 for my leaky gut, but they are very expensive, and now I just buy whatever looks good. Lots of forum members recommend Digest Gold.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 spryng

spryng

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thank you all so much! I jotted those names down and will look for them this weekend. I do feel 1000% better since being gluten-free I guess I just need to allow my body to continue to heal and take some supplements to aide in digestion.
Spryng

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: